Not again.. Yards!! WWYD?

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
So I am thinking I may have to move yards again which. I could really do without however I cant keep on doing this.
So as some of you know my big boy had lami last august as because he wouldn't box rest I had to make do with 16x16ft pen and slowly increase this. However this caused a lot of issues with some other people on the yard. Them thinking sox shouldn't be in a pen or it should be increased in size even though the lami was active and I was doing everything in my power to find a balance of limited his movement and keeping him calm.

His pulses have increased and decreased all winter, mainly when I restrict his movement they decrease. However again this restricting has become an issue as sox shares a field and the horses are both attached, one more then the other. This all came to ahead this weekend. When I was trying a happy medium and trialled sox out for a few hours and in the rest ( as last week sox came in with very hot feet and very strong pulses). However, I was called every name under the sun ( by a fellow livery owner). Told I was been cruel. Bringing various professionals involved,saying lies about their practise and underminding professional diagnoses .Then stating I would have to pay for any damage or vet bills if their horse injuried themselves or caused any more damage to the partitioning wall as its my fault as I am causing their horse stress as there horse would have to be in as sox is.

To be honest the vet bill talk along with bringing my vets in was the last straw. I can't be doing with this. I have a lot of shit going on in my personal life at present and I can't be doing with this as well as seeing to my horse.

Also my current yard has mentioned putting up the prices. And I am unable to strip graze the field. I can get away with a pen in the summer but that's only in the summer.

However I know sox isn't the easiest horse which makes finding a suitable new yard hard.

Though I have put my name down on my old old yard which me mean I could section and strip graze his field if I needed too. I have 2 fields for the year. There is plenty on horses I can have him in in a day and generally it should make his lami much easier to manage. There is someone to help me if I am working as well. The hacking is amazing and the schools are good sizes. It is more money though, but it is closer. There are ok with soxs cribbing as long as he isn't on the main 2 yards.

I have found another yard which is 5 mins away from me. Much cheaper, the hacking and school is ok. I can come and go when I need to. It is fully DIY. Sox would get his own field for summer and winter and I am allowed to manage it how I need to . Eg strip graze etc. Its mainly straw bedding though there is another lami pony that is on shavings, so I could maybe go onto shavings. The cons are that the stable is two small stables with the partition knocked through though one half of the stable is level and that other part there is like a foot drop or half a foot! The YO said the old livery used to use that side as a bed and build it up. And because it was made for ponies the stable frame height is only about 5ft 8/ 6ft at the max. I will be asking if he could maybe increase the height though there is guttering above so I aren't sure if he could. And there is no lights. Total diy though I could pay someone outside to help. or ask a livery.
There are 2 other yards but one wont take cribbers and the other yard is full, ( on waiting list)

There is another yard which does part or full livery but whether they would take and be willing to have a horse with soxs issues I aren't sure.

Move to the yard that has spaces or hold off?

Last edited:
If it were me I'd probably wait for a place at the old yard. If you already know people there and their system and are familiar with most aspects of it, then I'd go back there. I might be slightly put off the yard with the box that has a drop in the floor. I know you can build it up with compacted shavings but if SOx is anywhere near as daft as our pair he will get into mischief over it !!
Sorry to hear you are having bother again - both at home and on the yard. Lots of vibes for things getting easier.

If it were me I'd probably wait for a place at the old yard. If you already know people there and their system and are familiar with most aspects of it, then I'd go back there. I might be slightly put off the yard with the box that has a drop in the floor. I know you can build it up with compacted shavings but if SOx is anywhere near as daft as our pair he will get into mischief over it !!
Sorry to hear you are having bother again - both at home and on the yard. Lots of vibes for things getting easier.

Thanks trewers the only issue is a good friend who is at my old old yard said that I will probably be waiting quite a while for a stable to come up. :(
And if this is the uproar I get after only... 2 days of this then how will the summer be?? :(

Thanks trewers the only issue is a good friend who is at my old old yard said that I will probably be waiting quite a while for a stable to come up. :(
And if this is the uproar I get after only... 2 days of this then how will the summer be?? :(

Oh what a shame it might be a long wait! I honestly don't know what to say - maybe stick it out a while longer. Seems a shame to move Sox and then maybe move him again if a spot at the old yard comes up......grrrr why can't people just be okay and tolerant on yards?!!!! Lots of vibes for a place coming sooner rather than later.

Reactions: lauren123
This is bullying behaviour. They see you as a soft touch that they can try to manipulate and don't respect so just attack for the very slightest thing. Sometimes folk say things to me that I know they wouldn't dare square up to other folk about. That doesn't make me upset, it makes me angry that they can be so disrespectful because they think you won't fight back. I always then think about what my behaviour has done to make them think they can treat me that way. I'm not for one second advocating that you fight, but you need to be careful about how you come across to these people as if you give an inch they see a weakness and claw at it. Usually it's because you've asked for advice and then not taken it from them. They get irritated.
I wouldn't run away if you're happy at that yard. Sort it out. Sort this other person out. You're responsible for one horse only, he is number one, be tough, keep him as your priority and your fuel to fight for what is best for him.

PS I saw something on YouTube about a cloverleaf pen set up to limit horses running about the place. Don't know if it's of any interest but thought I'd mention it.

This is bullying behaviour. They see you as a soft touch that they can try to manipulate and don't respect so just attack for the very slightest thing. Sometimes folk say things to me that I know they wouldn't dare square up to other folk about. That doesn't make me upset, it makes me angry that they can be so disrespectful because they think you won't fight back. I always then think about what my behaviour has done to make them think they can treat me that way. I'm not for one second advocating that you fight, but you need to be careful about how you come across to these people as if you give an inch they see a weakness and claw at it. Usually it's because you've asked for advice and then not taken it from them. They get irritated.
I wouldn't run away if you're happy at that yard. Sort it out. Sort this other person out. You're responsible for one horse only, he is number one, be tough, keep him as your priority and your fuel to fight for what is best for him.

PS I saw something on YouTube about a cloverleaf pen set up to limit horses running about the place. Don't know if it's of any interest but thought I'd mention it.

Cheers FM.
Thanks for the cloverleaf pen information :)
I feel ok at the yard however it would be nice to be closer and not have to drive 30 miles a day. The other issue with the yard is due to the workings of it it makes controlling his lami quite hard,because he is with another horse. And it's a smallish yard as well.
It would be nice also if there was a yard that could be more flexible with grazing too. That's the issue too as well as the sharer I am unable to limit his grazing unless it's in the summer

Reactions: Flipo's Mum

You are so right - and yeah it makes me cross when folk think they can get away with saying stuff to me which has happened in the past. So yes, I think your advice to Lauren is spot on there. Good advice.xxx

As I've suggested to you off of here, I would be asking for a separate field until a space comes up at a more suitable yard, I 100% would not tolerate the way you have been treated she is a nasty, manipulative, bully and shouldn't get away with it. She has no right to call you names, question the diagnosis you have been given by 3 vets and 2 farriers and the fact that you are following their advise. And as for her making slanderous accusations about both your vets and farriers, well, she needs shooting! Keep your chin up :)

I totally agree that this person is a bully. However, if that's how they are and they're not going to change, there's nothing wrong with wanting to move for a more peaceful life. In an ideal world, we'd always stand up to people who make us miserable, but I've moved yards before because I just couldn't be bothered with that level of confrontation, and tbh it made my horse stressed too. As always, you need to weigh everything up and decide what's best for you and Sox.

As I've suggested to you off of here, I would be asking for a separate field until a space comes up at a more suitable yard, I 100% would not tolerate the way you have been treated she is a nasty, manipulative, bully and shouldn't get away with it. She has no right to call you names, question the diagnosis you have been given by 3 vets and 2 farriers and the fact that you are following their advise. And as for her making slanderous accusations about both your vets and farriers, well, she needs shooting! Keep your chin up :)

Thank you. :) I will be asking for a separate field. Though I am tempted by the other yard :)

I totally agree that this person is a bully. However, if that's how they are and they're not going to change, there's nothing wrong with wanting to move for a more peaceful life. In an ideal world, we'd always stand up to people who make us miserable, but I've moved yards before because I just couldn't be bothered with that level of confrontation, and tbh it made my horse stressed too. As always, you need to weigh everything up and decide what's best for you and Sox.
To be honest its getting like that. I just can't be doing with the conflict and the tension. You can sense the tension if we are on the yard at the same time.

Thank you. :) I will be asking for a separate field. Though I am tempted by the other yard :)

To be honest its getting like that. I just can't be doing with the conflict and the tension. You can sense the tension if we are on the yard at the same time.

If it was me, I'd move. I just don't want that kind of conflict or unpleasantness in my leisure time. My horse time is precious and I don't want it spoiled by bad vibes!

I've moved off a yard because I was being bullied. I am not unassertive, but I do hate conflict..I fell out with this particular livery very early on over turn out. She was a self appointed turn-out person paid £2 a throw as she arrived at the crack of dawn and somehow convinced everyone they all needed to go out together. She offered to turn out mine when I moved on. I politely declined and I was bullied from then on. It got to the point where I would feel physically sick if I saw her car. Moving was the best thing I ever did. She was kicked off in the end for bullying behaviour but they let her stay for far too long imo. It's fine to stand up for yourself - I did - but it can make life a misery anyway.

Reactions: Trewsers
I've moved off a yard because I was being bullied. I am not unassertive, but I do hate conflict..I fell out with this particular livery very early on over turn out. She was a self appointed turn-out person paid £2 a throw as she arrived at the crack of dawn and somehow convinced everyone they all needed to go out together. She offered to turn out mine when I moved on. I politely declined and I was bullied from then on. It got to the point where I would feel physically sick if I saw her car. Moving was the best thing I ever did. She was kicked off in the end for bullying behaviour but they let her stay for far too long imo. It's fine to stand up for yourself - I did - but it can make life a misery anyway.

That sounded awful. I'd have probably moved in that situation too.

Spoken to the YO of the other yard as there was a few issues ( stable frame height/fertilising the grass etc) he said all the issues we can sort basically

This should I? Shouldn't I? Has been bothering me all day. And I know only I can make the choice.

However at present its hard. I still feel even if I was to move into another field I still wouldn't be able to strip graze or restrict him in some way other then bringing him in after only a few hours out. If I carry on as I am he will end up with full blown lami and I feel I would be .. doing the wrong thing by actually keeping him out. However it would mean paying someone if one of the girls can bring him in and me popping down twice a day every day which I don't mind. However I would be doing 210 miles per week, just seeing sox. The travelling is actually starting to get to me. Having to add an extra .. 30- 60 mins onto my journey...

Yet I feel.. if I was to move him I would still need to find someone to bring him in in the day, or he would stay in which is fine, but if others are going out that is where the problem lies. And on this other yard again its completely diy. Yet it would cut by travel time down a lot! Again if I was to go away it would mean probably paying someone outside to look after him. Also at this other yard sox would be by himself and in the stable block he can see others but its an L shape and he is at one end and the other horses are the other. So he wouldn't be as 'close' to other horses as he is now but then I think if he comes down with full blown lami. He wont be near any other horses as he will be in.
And the other issue ( theres loads!!) is that he finds complete box rest very very stressful if he is in by himself. Due to him not suiting box rest it then comes into a 'quality of life question' Which I hate! But it does. I have known deep down for some time. That if Sox cant cope with the box rest required ( for lami) and at that time couldn't go on the grass. Then I would have to seriously question his quality of life as it wouldn't be fair on him. I have said it for a while I don't think its fair on sox to keep him in a pen all summer ( less then 30ft x30ft) I wouldn't do that too him.

So when I tell people that I cant have him come down with lami. I am deadly seriously. I was told by the vets when he had the lami in August that because he wont cope with the box rest ( he kept legging it) then the other option is a pen in the field with soaked hay and if he doesn't cope with that then we have to question his quality of life as its not fair to him and we had and still have 'limited options'

I am worried about moving yards if I decide to as I wouldn't have no back up.. and I don't like the idea of moving him a lot and causing him stress when he doesn't need it...

Your current "back up" yells at you, calls you names and denies sox has any problem and walks him barefoot over the sharp stones daily crippling him (rather than putting his boots on), surely no back up is better than someone making matters worse? If you don't want to do him twice a day maybe looking at assisted DIY or part livery would be more appropriate.

Reactions: Trewsers
Your current back up doesn't sound very helpful at all. I truly understand where you are coming from though. I stayed on a yard once cos it was almost a bit better the devil you know and all of that. Moving was a good thing, it wasn't perfect by any means but things improved for us. So difficult.

Your current "back up" yells at you, calls you names and denies sox has any problem and walks him barefoot over the sharp stones daily crippling him (rather than putting his boots on), surely no back up is better than someone making matters worse? If you don't want to do him twice a day maybe looking at assisted DIY or part livery would be more appropriate.

I know they do :( Its not that I don't want to see him twice a day @Jessey . But sometimes with the long hours I do, it is hard. Assisted DIY around here isn't easy to find and I have previously looked in part livery. However nearly all the yards either have a open/ close time. Some only do one part of the day which is no good with my hours. There are a few that do 5 days livery however it was expensive and there was a waiting list ( ok with cribbing but they fertilizer a lot) I did even think about full livery, but the one yard I looked into only turned out a few days a week and wouldn't really accommodate us.

Your current back up doesn't sound very helpful at all. I truly understand where you are coming from though. I stayed on a yard once cos it was almost a bit better the devil you know and all of that. Moving was a good thing, it wasn't perfect by any means but things improved for us. So difficult.

Thank you to you both.

newrider.com