No Market?

Nookster

Oct 21, 2002
As some you will know I am looking to find Odin a new home. He’s been advertised for over a couple of months now but I seem to have no interest at all and wondering where I might be going wrong? Or is its just the time of year ? Price? Or my advert? Or my sales patter?

I had one girl come view him but I contacted their wanted add. Gave them history including rear and they came to trial him. He went super for them, cleared everything jump wise but the girl was honest and said she wanted something with more ‘spark’, Thought he was a great confidence giver in her words but you could see from the trial she needed ‘leg’ so to say on the flat, jump wise tho he would take her in to them.

Now Odin is a great confidence giver but still needs educating in the wider set of things / the wider world (hes not met everything or done everything) so I really know hes not suitable to be sold as a confidence giver as I think the rider would become stuck as like any horse he can still spook, have his moments. But for an extremely experienced rider like this girl was you could see it was a push button ride so to say.
Ground wise and stable wise he has manner to die for.

I do have someone due this weekend to view him but that’s it as far as interest goes.

Had two other calls and I think I put one of them off saying about his saddle and the rear but would rather be honest and offer as many trials as needed for it to be right for them both. Saddle is sorted and no instances since. But not sure people believe me when I say that which is understandable but have offered any trials. Give Odin his due the saddle went not noted for 10 months – so he had a build up of 10 months of pain and was trying to tell us. The other person wasn’t interested as hes never XC’d or Hunted.

I’m not ‘desperate’ for him to go as he deserves the best but I am finding it hard now I have brought on a companion pony to replace him. Private DIY so vol needs a companion when odin goes. This pony came up at the wrong time so to say but vol who can be hard to pair up with met him and they got on like a house on fire that I found it hard to say no as it was the best option going forward – also in my logic at the time eases the pain of Odins loss to vol as vol stress colics in circumstances. Pony tho will reduces my costs considerably and will also reduce my time allowing us to finally look at starting a family as husband will be able to do horses alone with our setup at the moment he really can’t handle two large horses. BUT all that said first most and foremost it has to be a suitable home for Odin.

Money wise I am not trying to make any money – will be loosing actually as hes going for what I bought him for but will be going with his tack etc. He came to me as a fresh import unknown history, since has been out and about regularly and has good amount of local wins under his belt and shown he can go further in any sphere so to say with someone that has the time/interest to put into him.

So any advice really to help me find his ideal home? Websites that are good? Where I am going wrong?

His advert:

FOR SALE:

Handsome 17.1hh 8yr Bay Selle Francais Gelding

A quality branded Selle Francais with full Breed history.

Floating rhythmic paces and a straight mover so ideal for the show ring or for dressage. Masses of ability for flat or jumping - has successfully shown/competed. Would excel any sphere.

Good in all ways in & out of the stable a total gent. Lovely temperament and always willing to learn. Hacks alone or in company, no vices. Live in or out. Perfect to catch, farrier, clip, load, stable, Travel.

Looking for an experienced forever home. Full history available. All homes fully vetted - no time wasters or joy riders please.

For sale through no fault of his own - we are starting a family and currently being wasted due to lack of rider’s time.

£4000

will pop that in thanks!

have attached some of the ad photos i have used too in case i am going wrong there as well.

Attachments

• odin4.jpg
    odin4.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 66
  • odin3.jpg
    odin3.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 66
  • odin.jpg
    odin.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 64
  • odin1.jpg
    odin1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 66
  • odin2.jpg
    odin2.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 61
Tbh I think 4k is cheap for him (not that i have 4k lying around!) perhaps up his price to 5k to get those people serioulsy interested in competing interested and be prepared to drop to 4k. Perhaps people are suspcious of a horse that looks as fab as he does at such a good price that they think something must be wrong with him??

Tbh I think 4k is cheap for him (not that i have 4k lying around!) perhaps up his price to 5k to get those people serioulsy interested in competing interested and be prepared to drop to 4k. Perhaps people are suspcious of a horse that looks as fab as he does at such a good price that they think something must be wrong with him??

Hand on heart he really isn't worth 5k doesn't have any proper county wins or BD points etc, BSJA. Still green in some senses too. But does have the ability to go a lot further and i don't feel has been rushed at an early age which is good for his size. He holds his own in unaffiliated classes showing and dressage and has won classes of 30 plus but not at a standard to warrant 5k if that makes sense.

Person coming to view him is coming in under the 4k price but so far she sounds lovely and if all her checks go ok i would let him go if i knew it was a 'forever' home (i have a lot of guilt that i haven't offered him this when i said i would) and we agreed if he evere god forbid comes for sale i have first refusal. I don't want to end up 8 months pregnant and hear hes for sale as i know i would want him back to make sure he was safe. Hes never put a foot wrong, yes he reared in the last year but that was my fault not his. His 2 years previous have been nothing but foot perfect that the rear was and is completely out of character. But again if its his way of saying hes in pain i would rather his new owner knew as again if hes ever sadly in pain he does try to tell you and is sensitive in that sense. Big lad but baby to things hurting him.

Would people not wonder if i put him up in price?

Do you think people will really think theres something wrong at that price? I thought that was still a bit dear as said with current climate?

Could you not send him away to go hunting? I'd also put "open to vetting" . Good idea from stressy.

Due to my time restrictions I have been paying someone to ride him and compete him (competition fees and travelling) for the past couple of years (hence trying to reduce costs- they would have bought him if they never had 4 of their own lol) and when I have had chance been riding him myself. Was never an option to send him away as vol stresses so much he colics if on his own but I guess with pony he could now but not sure I would want him to do a couple of one offs just to sell? Not sure if that makes sense

Just wanted to say, I didn't see his pics before he is gorgeous. A bit bigger than I would be comfortable on. Good Luck finding him a new owner :)

If only I wasn't so scared of hieghts ;-)

I do agree – I love odin but would never have bought myself a 17.1hh – he was sadly bought for someone that loved their 17hh horses to be on loan but they left not long after.

Could you not put him on full loan.

New Pony companion is on LWVTB – odins sale will pay for him so loaning isn’t an option now.

I am extremely wary of loans too, odin was bought to be on full loan and company for us at the yard and that failed miserably. I know there are people very committed to their horses but I find with loans it can be very much down to the attitude of the person and their commitment and that’s like the lottery finding someone that is as honest as they make out. I don’t want another being stranded unexpectedly without warning episode again especially if our plans take hold and I’m pregnant.

TBH (and I don't want this to come out the wrong way) I would put his price down, probably to £3,000 or maybe £3,500 and say includes with tack.

The reason - it will open up a different market. For 4K most buyers will want something that has experience, not much but has 'some' BSJA or BD points but might be quirky. A green competition horse with massive potential.

By putting him at a little less you will probably attract someone more just out of riding club but wants a horse that could be capable of more then riding club level. A competition horse, still but maybe one that wouldn't neccessarily go to the top but have a good go and try his heart out at everything.

I thnk you would get a quicker sale that way and Odin would still get a great home. Also what you lose on the price you would gain by the not having the costs of someone having to ride him still etc.

Oh, and with the rear I would definitely make sure anyone understands that it was completely out of character due to pain. Either that or don't mention it until they come to try and then maybe mention in. To be honest if the problem is fixed and it was out of character then it probably isn't much of a put off but could be depending on how it is said.

Only a thought, Odin looks lovely in his pics.

So whats the new companion pony like?

I think you made the decision to sell Odin and need to stick with that, it
wasn't an easy decision for you anyway.

I just think the climate is very slow and because of that people can be
a little bit 'pickier' than they are normally as there are just so many Horses
on the market.

I also think it would be strange to suddenly up his price if he is already
being advertised and hasn't been sold.

Think the market will slow more before it picks up again tbh with Christmas looming. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your ad other than the
'tack' addition which you can amend and you have some really some nice pics.

Its a difficult one, if he is on there for too long it puts people OFF because
they think something is wrong, because he hasn't sold, but if not advertised you aren't going to have a Buyer pop along either.

Hang on in there, I am sure he will find a new Owner, it just seems to be
taking much longer at the moment. I don't know that I would actually 'drop' the price but I would certainly add 'negotiable to the right home'.
But I can see the point Laceyfreckle is making.

He is lovely looking horse the kind i would want to buy but unfortunately i have 3 already. There will always be a market for good quality horses. I would keep him at 4k but maybe allow yourself for offers if they ask but dont put it on the advert. Have you put him on these websites that are good for Scotland:

www.adtrader.co.uk - thats where everyone i know looks plus its free.

http://www.horses-sales.com/classifieds/Scotland/ - I have seen lots of horses getting sold on this website.

https://www.horsetrader.snequestrian.com/classifieds/

www.horsemart.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Horsey-Stuff-For-Sale-in-Scotland/138614526175492?ref=sgm

http://yardandgroom.co.uk/horses/index.aspx

Last edited:
I kind of agree with Laceyfreckle here,although I understand he's worth more than 3-3.5k,it's really all down to the market you're aiming him at.

If you want a forever type home for him,then I think lowering his price to what would be more appropriate to people wanting something that they can get out and about on comp wise,but still also have as a pet so to speak might get you more interest.Like I said not saying he isn't worth more technically,he's a stunning boy that's been brought on slowly and is a credit to you,but most people looking for an all rounder that can also be a forever equine friend possibly would not be looking at the 4k price bracket,and might assume he's aimed more at the comp type home and therefore not suitable for them??

Could be wrong,just a thought about why he might not be getting the interest he should.

Could also just be time of year and the fact he's such a big horse which don't always appeal to everyone,maybe eml's idea about slightly underestimating his height could make him sound more suitable to a wider market??

Really hope you find the perfect person for him,you and he deserve it,holding good thoughts for you both that the viewing coming up goes well:happy:

I agree with devonlass and lceyfreckle I'm afraid, I think he's overpriced. For that money, people want a proven competition history or similar. He is lovely though but more of a £3000 horse :eek:

If I had the money I'd buy him in a flash, I absolutely LOVE his paces. I've spent quite a long time over the last few months looking for potential dressage horses in the £3000-£3500 bracket and very few were as nice as him (and adverts for sane 17hh warmbloods are few and far between), so I'd say he's priced right.

If you are going to aim for the dressage market I'd like to know what level he'd been competing at and what level he's working at home.

I'd also maybe not mention the rearing on the phone unless they specifically ask. As long as it really is no longer an issue, he's reared due to pain and never again (assuming that's true, I can't quite remember, sorry), wait until they've come to view him and can see how lovely he is before mentioning it!

newrider.com