Newly graded any advice on what is next please?

juniberry

Jul 20, 2008
Devon
Until 18 months ago I was a medioca dressage rider I got my TB ex race horse to the regionals BD at Novice and the Nationals trailblazers and happily did up to medium at home. I had a hanovarian 17hh coming along ok in unaffiliated. Then I sliped and torn a wrist ligament, hospital fixed it but didn't notice the infection and now I have minimal use of my left hand and wrist. So I started affiliated on my gelding this spring and we do ok with a few points and placings. One big downfall is the judges coments suggesting (but in nicer terms) lovely horse shame about the rider due to my poor rein contact. Also I fell off a lot when I started riding after the accident as my balence is altered from what it was because of not using my arms the same. So after a few suggestions from trainers and friends I headed off to Hartpury last Friday and met Chris Meaden and a lovely assesser from Norway (I think sorry if that is not right) and now I am officially a garde IV rider. I know that means I can ride one handed, with loops, bar and whip. Well apart from the whip thing no idea how the others work in dresage or even what they are (a bar is for drinking isn't it). I found a depressing forum on another site where everyone was talking about wanting to be graded higher to get more support. Well I would rather not have had my accident and I definatly don't want to be in more pain for anything. Loved this forum as you are all so positive and supportive wish I had read before going to Hartpury so I could have watch some of you doing so well.
So what happens next is there a particular rein anyone suggests, how do you get a round outline with one hand (thou not sure if I trust my boy to ride him one handed)? Where do you find the grade IV tests and which shows have them? What are the RDA classes? There seems to be a hugh lack of horses for the graded riders with out thier own if any one wants to take their life in their own hands welcome to borrow my 17hh black han by Pascal 9 going on 3 but he is only Novice level with a few medium and elementary party tricks at home. I am in Devon so if I ever find out how to do the shows I also have a lorry for 3 so could help with transport if you can't drive or don't have transport. Any signposting, guidence, help, suggestions gratefully received. Finally is the flexi rein inserts and De Boiz rein really helpfull and does the De Boiz rein count as looped reins. Wow I thought I knew horses with a BSc Equine Sceince and BHS stage 3 plus years of working in the industry but they say with horses you are always learning and this is a massive crash course in turning the usual rules on its head doing the para thing
many thanks

In terms of trying the reins it will be worth joining your local RDA group as they will have all the various bits of equipment so you can try before you buy.

BD also have a para-dressage programme that is now getting off the ground. Have a look in the BD magazine for your region and look for your para-dressage rep. Northern region is pretty active and they organise regular trainings and meetings.

There are also para-dressage competitions that are run by BD and are qualifiers for the summer national championships.

There is a talent-spotting competition for para-riders as well - it is usually around February at Vale View. if it is too far to bring your own horse the centre has horses that are suitable that can be borrowed. I'll be there as support crew for a friend next year and Monty is going to go as well.

Thank you

I have contacted a local centre which I know do main stream dressage comps but I think they have all finished for the summer break. I was going to call the South west Para rep tomorrow as I thought it a bit rude to disturbe her weekend. Felt a little guilty asking for a lesson at the RDA centre as they probally have so many people who do not have access to horses to ride but I will wait and see if they might be able toi help. If not I'll pull out the cre4dit card and buy everything and me and my instructer will have great fun just woring out how to use and at worst my horse thinks I am rather silly which I think he thinks any way

Hi there,

Glad you have found RDA/Paradressage as a way to keep up your competitive riding!

RDA doesn't tend to have many competitions each year, often just a regional qualifier and the Nationals, from that point of view Para-dressage is your better bet. RDA may well be able to help you in terms of equipment and specially trained and qualified instructors who (probably in conjunction with your current instructor) can help you get the most from your horse.

You mentioned you were in Devon so I've got you the South West region and Devon county chairperson's numbers, these are also available on the region website http://www.southwestregionriding-for-disabled.org.uk

I would recommend calling one or both of these people as they should be able to give you advice on the group most able to suit your needs - it might be that groups in your immediate area cater only for severely disabled riders or for children etc so it may be worth travelling a bit to get the best support and advice.

Regional Chairman 0845 2416301
Devon County Chairman 0845 4507028

I hope this helps, let us know how you get on and if you end up at the Nationals I hope to watch you compete!

Karen xx

great info ta

Spoke to the BD south west rep who was very encouraging and gave me the names of a couple of trainers who could help. I also contacted an RDA centre in Somerset which I think do adult and occasional able bodied lessons. They have kindly said they can help with trying some equipment and possibly their trainers may even help me try it on my would be dressage pony. I also have two training sessions this week one with my normal trainer the other with someone recommended by the Para rep. By chance I had booked in to a clinic anyway. So being a bit impulsive I ordered the De Boiz reins for over night delivery and I also brought a set of Flexi rein attachments so hopefully if all my new toys arrive quickly I can have a play in my lessons. Will let you know how the reins go and if it helps my horse look pretty and keep his head down. Think the Nationals may be out of my league for now but I would like to get my qualification for the pet plan areas next year in prelim and novice so I need two test sheets over 62% in each I think. Won’t take him out until my FEI card comes and my lorry is being painted at the moment so I think the next show will be mid August

Sorry, but your dispensation for loops, and bars does not include the flexi reins. You will be ok to train inthese but they are not permissable in competition. Your para rep will be able to tell you more. The para tests are available for free download from www.ipec-athletes.de. Grade 4 test are from elememtry to medium level. Please don't think that para classes are a lesser option. Grade 4 is tough and you need good horsemanship skills to cut the mustard, after all its only 1 limb that is impaired. The KBIS qualifiers for the BD National champs are I think finished now, but you could go to the BD Nationals at Stoneleigh in sept to see the standard. The para competition is on the friday morning, usually starts at 0830. A good grade 4 horse is working at medium level or above. The RDA is a little more flexible as if either you or your horse are not ready for the grade 4 test you can do the open grades 1-5 test which is novice level. There are one set of qualifiers in each region and the top two from each section get thru to the National Champs at Hartpury in July. Its a fabulous event. Again the competition is stiff and winning scores usually over 70%. I am not trying to dissuade you, more to tell you what a lot of work and dedication you will require to succeed. Para is short for parallel, basically the rules give us the equipment we need to be on a level playing field with the other able bodied athletes. As good riding should be from a developed seat, strong core muscles and subtle weight aids rather than dependency on the reins you still have a great many physical pluses to assist you. It's now a case of developing those skills as you cannot rely on the reins any longer. My advice would be to take up pilates, and go find a good instuctor with a mechanical horse to assist you to develop your seat, balance and weight aids. We luckily have one at our RDA centre and a great instuctor and physio who can cover all this. I found it invaluable when learning to adapt to my new abilities.
So pep talk over, welcome to our 'club!' and get ready for a roller coaster ride as you set off towards your chosen goal. Good luck! (ps am happy to give any help or support possible, I don't bite and am a fellow grade 4 and BD judge, so feel free to pm me.)

Last edited:
Don't worry I had realised my little Novice horse was no where near ready for the grade IV stuff. I may be able to pinch a friends horse who can do all the tricks but I plan to keep my boy going too as he has the ability it has just slowed us down with my accident. Had a fab training session with a BD and para judge today and she is confident we will get to the level needed and the reins could help as the greatest problem is slipping reins allowing all the enegry out the front door. Found a cool trick of over moving my leg aids had an amazing effect on keeping my horse round through changes of rein. Taking him out at BD Novice 5th August so hope to have some reins for that. Really gutted last time out as I had my first 5 for riding as the judge comented the horse was lovely but due to poor rein contact I was not containing the energy. If the grade IV means I can use reins to help prevent the slipping problems and it does give me a parrell playing field it will all be worth it. Also looking to buy a yearling or foal to bring on as my horse gets older. Briefly thought about buying an advanced horse and down gradeing for the IV medium level tests but I have always produced my horses from babies before and I am not going to let a silly thing like a bust arm stop that now. Thank you for your advice but I was not under any illussions this was going to be easy and I am lucky I do have a decent pony and transport and even more lucky I am still able to ride. Off to the RDA centre next Friday to try out the gadgets and I rode for the first time in my brace today which was definatlystrange. Just got to make my little legs on my 5foot2 body get super strong to make my 17hh pony do what I want for a changed. Also work with an ex personal trainer who is going to help on developing the undamaged upper arm and he is starting a Tia Chi class which he thinks will also help. Good thing my job allows me to use the knowledge of people like him. Wonder if I will look like the karate kid balencing on the pole after my Tia Chi stuff :D

Its slightly off topic - but does anyone know how I go about looking at getting graded?Knees are shot - ie i need one of them replaced but at the age of 26 I am too young! Any help gratefully receivedThanks

the other option is to continue with the able bodied BD comps as you did before but now you have a grading you should be able to get a dispensation to use whatever equipment is settled upon as working for you

also , in terms of judging i have been on a judging course where when assessing a graded rider i made my analysis on the same basis as i did for every other rider , i knew the rider was a graded rider & so did the judge trainer & was actually more generous in her marking , making allowance for the disability

getting graded but some more questions too

To get graded go to the british dressage website and head to the para dressage section nad in getting started is a link to either Kay or Chris who will send you to a local grader it costs about £30 plus your travel. No horses just an assesment room and some exercises. Or very simple and well explained.
Had my grading about a month ago and had to pay for a card £7.00 which I was told to carry at all times.
Does anyone know do I get sent this card or is it the cardboard card with a list of grading numbers on and one number circled but not my name opr details also what form/forms do I send in with my dressage entries to show I am allowed to use looped reins. I have my assesment form which gives all the scores for diffent parts of my body but no card showing my name and gradeing. Any advice please

You need a dispensation letter from BD for the reins which you send a copy of with your entries - send one copy per class entered as they need one for each judge. Contact the person at BD head office who deals with para matters and they will steer you to the right person.

newrider.com