New to riding and this forum!

jannabanana

Mar 10, 2022
Hi everyone, I just started riding about 2 months ago. I'm a sliiiightly older first time rider at 40 ;) but I decided to go for it since I always wanted to but thought I had missed the boat for so long. My daughter is 11 and has been riding for about 9 months, and now we take our lessons together which has been a really lovely experience for us! She's been cantering for a while now and I just cantered this week for the first time in the two point/jumping position- it was absolutely amazing. I didn't think I could do it, and tried to say no but my instructor pushed me on with encouragement and I'm so glad she did.

We live rurally in Ireland and we have been looking at our large yard with a keen new horsey eye. This spring we are setting up two grazing pasture fencing and putting up a two stable & tackroom building. We are going to dive into horse ownership for my daughter first as she can stable her pony at school with her there for lessons during the week, and get an older companion pony with it until I'm much more experienced to consider my own horse.
I will probably have lots of questions, glad to have found you all!

Welcome to the forum! We love pics, so do show us pictures of your herd as and when you acquire them. I didn't get my own horse until I was 50, so you've seen the light earlier than me :)

Reactions: jannabanana
Welcome to NR :D How lovely that you have the opportunity to have horses at home, every little girls dream :D
Thank you, and thanks to everyone for the welcome!

Will definitely post pictures as the horse life at home comes together :)

We are so lucky to have the space and opportunity to have horses here on our property, our little girl is so excited and looking forward to it- once her grades remain good at school. ;) We are preparing by taking a horse care course online, joining local groups (including this online one!) reading books, and speaking to family members who are long established equestrians. I know we're rather green with horses and certainly horse ownership, but you have to start somewhere right? I'm sure our horses will be safe, looked after, and loved so all the rest will just have to fall into place :) šŸ„°

I have a question about leg aids and steering, so off I go to see if I can figure out how to post my question in the right forum section šŸ˜…

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
newrider.com