New Horse owner, Need advice.

Sass&Dash

Apr 25, 2022
Hi everyone! I'm a new rider here, ok- let's get to the point here. I'm getting ready for my first ever horse (In a couple years.) and I need some advice, I've been riding horses since I was maybe 5 years old? and I'm a barrel racer, I go to horse shows a lot but I'm getting to experience for my old lesson pony. So, I'm thinking about buying my own project barrel horse. Now, I understand how that taking lessons and owning a horse is very different, Vet bills, unexpected injury's, no vacation, feed bills, and all the time that it takes to own one. I understand this isn't going to be easy, but that's why I'm here, First question.

1. Should I buy a trailer? they aren't cheap and is it even worth it, we are probably going to be going to barrel races a lot, we may borrow one of our friends trailers I know they wouldn't mind.

2. Which stable would be the best?
60f86674d565df80e70a351b72ffb7f5--horse-stalls-horse-barns.jpg

3. Or this one? 6ca2cfbf414b391e76f2eb8a5033c080.jpg

One more question, we think "straw" grows out in our field but now realizing straw is dried stalks of grain. We are asking the people who cut it what it is, I don't think its hay? But we are figuring that out. Thank you please tell me any tips and tricks I need. I will be posting a lot of forums showing my journey.

A project horse is not a first horse. You need to be looking for a seasoned horse for your first, you are right there is a huge difference between a lesson horse and having your own, getting an inexperienced horse for your first will just make it twice as hard to make the transition and it is already plenty hard enough. You also need to consider that horses are herd animals and shouldn't be kept alone, so if you are planning to have it on your own property you would need to get a friend for it also, which means 2 of everything.

If you want to go out competing you will want your own trailer, borrowing from friends is fine but there is only so often you can ask a big favor like that, and they obviously have it because they want/need the trailer themselves and if they have plans you are left at home.

The type of stable you need will depend a bit on your location, if you are somewhere that gets wet and wild winters you will want one that is closed in, if you are somewhere temperate that doesn't get bad weather in winter but does get very hot then you could look at an open one.

Straw (from grain harvest) is not a suitable feed for horses, you would need to source grass or grass/alfalfa mix hay.

Thank you! But what I meant is what "grows" out in our field and is it suitable to eat it while its growing, but I understand that they eat different hay. But we are getting either a mini or a goat for our horse.

Thank you! But what I meant is what "grows" out in our field and is it suitable to eat it while its growing, but I understand that they eat different hay. But we are getting either a mini or a goat for our horse.
Ah I get you, yes for live forage you definitely need grass not grains.

newrider.com