New boy rearing on a hack- Thoughts please!

I had an interesting hack out on my boy last Monday- He objected to walking past a paper bag (McDonalds, squashed, not moving), and first of all backed up, then at second attempt to get him past it, took his front feet off the ground a couple of times. Leg on + stick and a stern verbal “GET ON” was all it took to get past it. Front feet off the floor does not equal “rear” in my book.

6 months ago I would have needed a change of pants and I would have got off and done the walk of shame home. As it was, I thought “not today sunshine” and thanked everything holy that he wasn’t in his snaffle.

I’ve not seen any rudeness here at all. One of the things I really appreciate about this forum is the honesty without nastiness or name-calling. I sometimes need a reality check kick-up-the-jacksy. Or to be told to just get on with it.

The kindness I have been shown here is one of the reasons I keep coming back (you have only yourselves to blame ;)).
I love reading your posts about your adventures.
You are having such a lot of fun- box rest bit excluded there. You are doing what I feel having a horse is about about, fun, pleasure, enjoyment- and the pics because as a forum I know we love those.

Personally and I can't speak for others, never feel having to get off and walk is a walk of shame. There are rides when we manage and maybe some we don't. Nothing wrong in saying you can't do something at that moment.
I have had the rides when she's wanting to get back as much as I want to get back.
I have also got off, led by and carried on, no stress.
But only because know if she really says no, and no means no, she will start to plunge about and can rear. If I am adding to her problem by upsetting her more, she will ditch the problem.

I love reading your posts about your adventures.
You are having such a lot of fun- box rest bit excluded there. You are doing what I feel having a horse is about about, fun, pleasure, enjoyment- and the pics because as a forum I know we love those.

Personally and I can't speak for others, never feel having to get off and walk is a walk of shame. There are rides when we manage and maybe some we don't. Nothing wrong in saying you can't do something at that moment.
I have had the rides when she's wanting to get back as much as I want to get back.
I have also got off, led by and carried on, no stress.
But only because know if she really says no, and no means no, she will start to plunge about and can rear. If I am adding to her problem by upsetting her more, she will ditch the problem.

If I get off him, I’d struggle to get back on him- he’s massive, and although I’ve got long legs, dislocating my hip getting back on isn’t really going to help my position. LOL.

I do use the term “walk of shame” very much tongue in cheek.

Yesterday he trotted up sound after a few days off with a hot, fat left hind (infected cut). Clearly feeling much better, and mud fever gone. So we hacked out in a group. He bronked when everyone trotted away in front of us (I just wanted to leave a 2-3 metre gap between us and the horse in front) and despite my requesting him to trot, mistook my “trot” aid for “**** off” aid. He’s just very excited and with lots of energy.

I feel sorry for the friend in front on her beautiful ginger mare, because she would have heard something along the lines of “DON’T YOU ******* DARE YOU ABSOLUTE ******* D******D.” Whoops. LOL.

Going on a “Fun” ride around Windsor on 26th May. He’ll definitely have fun, I don’t know whether me hanging on for dear life on half a ton of excited idiot beast will be fun for me. Hahaha.

I love him. The daft idiot.
FE8D88C7-72CF-4148-9D77-623EF8E91642.jpeg

newrider.com