New boy on the block

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Please meet Luka! He's a Welsh D x, 8yo, sold as 15hh but I don't think he's that big. Not many miles on the clock, a lovely person and based on my ride forward and nicely responsive without being hair trigger. Very Welsh - those of you who've had them will understand 🤣

1622207688902.png

He'll be on a bit of a diet, but until this week he's done almost no work since autumn last year so it's hardly surprising he's well covered. He'd be a good photo candidate if you're ever this way, I was so glad you did those lovely ones of Jim and Little Un for me, they were amazing.

He'll be on a bit of a diet, but until this week he's done almost no work since autumn last year so it's hardly surprising he's well covered. He'd be a good photo candidate if you're ever this way, I was so glad you did those lovely ones of Jim and Little Un for me, they were amazing.

I may be south this summer. Just say the word.....

• Love
Reactions: carthorse
He really isn't huge @Doodle92 , but he has a high head carriage and in that pic was watching something going on on the yard - he's not used to such a busy environment.

@Huggy he didn't look that smart when I first saw him, it's amazing what a week at a top level event yard can do to a cob!

@Frances144 if we can sort something that would be amazing, you did a fantastic job before. Maybe time for another NR photography tour?

I measured him today and he's 14.3, so a fraction bigger than I thought but not 15hh. More importantly I took him for a short hack and he was a sweetheart - delivery van no problem, off road bikers no problem, horses gadding around next to the lane no problem and also went over the motorway bridge good as gold. A bit of leg and please pay attention when he started calling, but that stopped that. And turned round after a while and came back the way we went with no rushing or silliness - I didn't want to get lost and I don't know the area for hacking.

Pretty brave to take him out solo so soon and in a new place. But in my early innocent days I regarded horses as cars which would take one anywhere you rode them. So it is brilliant you did the same. That sounds so good. Particularly the motorway bridge.
Does it matter if he grows to 15 hands? I am really happy with Ella who is 15.2. My RI warned me to buy 15 hands or more. Unless you need to meet a height limit for showing?

The height doesn't really matter @Skib, it's just the owner was concerned he'd be too big and powerful so I found it quite funny he isn't even the 15hh he said. I put them into three groups - bigger than I want, too small, and just fine. Build is often as big a factor as height anyway and this lad is built to carry a decent sized rider. He's not going to grow anymore, but I really don't care.

Ultimately he was bought as a hack and there are times when he will hack alone so I feel it's better to start as I intend to go on. If approaching the bridge he'd felt like he couldn't cope I would have turned back, but as it was he was quite cool about it with a stroke and a touch of leg and I was confident there wasn't an issue so we went on. He appears to be a sweet horse who is willing to please as long as the rider is quiet and confident, the head girl's assessment was the same. If I felt I couldn't do this with him I wouldn't have bought him, feeling that I can then why would I delay?

Reactions: CiaraH and MrC
He sounds just lovely. Sid is the same height and I think it's perfect, definitely a horse but such a manageable size! Except Sid is 14.3 wide as well.

When does you new boy come home?

@Jane&Ziggy Luka's wider than he looks, I've just had to have my saddle set to XW and if I was so inclined - which I'm not - I think I could get between his front legs! I prefer not to have too big when I'm hacking on bridleways, it saves so much ducking under branches 😁 . I nearly got caught out dismounting today though, he rides bigger than he is and I wasn't expecting the ground to be so close 🤣

I'll hack him the 3 or 4 miles to my yard on Friday or Saturday, depending on when the couple of friends who've volunteered to hack with me can do. It hardly seems worth hiring a box to travel him that far and he'll probably be more settled turning out if he's done a bit of work too.

I love your answer about her thinking him too big and powerful for you. Even the RS ponies or a Shetland could barge a human out of the way if they felt like it.
It makes a difference that you are doing what you choose and enjoy. I now think that it is being easy in one's own mind makes the horse easy too. He surely willlearn how you like to hack. People think it is nothing. That one always rides the slowest easiest horse in the area, just sitting there. As you say, if it had felt dicey, you would not have continued. One is constantly making judgements. But really it is just feeling OKay with any new horse and knowing how to get them to do ask one asks.
I hope you have a lovely ride to your own yard.

Reactions: Huggy and carthorse
He really isn't huge @Doodle92 , but he has a high head carriage and in that pic was watching something going on on the yard - he's not used to such a busy environment.

@Huggy he didn't look that smart when I first saw him, it's amazing what a week at a top level event yard can do to a cob!

@Frances144 if we can sort something that would be amazing, you did a fantastic job before. Maybe time for another NR photography tour?

I doubt a "tour" as such, but if I drive down, I will pop my camera in the car and come over, if you want.

newrider.com