New boy on the block

Reactions: Huggy
Well he's had over a month off work because I just couldn't be doing with the weather and have also been on holiday myself for 10 days. Got back on him today and he was so good, even went through a flooded section of byway that was nearly up to his knees - the last time we went through water that deep it was a year ago almost to the day and it ended with me getting bucked off into the river! Fortunately today was far less eventful :) Fingers crossed that the weather will stay ok and we can get some consistent hacking in, though I was rather surprised to find the girth was doing up on the same holes because looking at him I thought he'd piled weight on.

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
Well the getting us back into regular work has been a bit hit and miss - when is the weather going to settle down? Thick fog this morning meant another day off, but he was very good yesterday, even stopping and standing to let people fuss him which may not sound like much but was once a big deal for him, if we stop for long it does tend to cost me a trot after though! Had a bit of a laugh after trotting to get to a point I could let traffic past, a driver opened his window and jokingly pointed out it was a 20 zone! Now we were only doing his road trot, a pace much slower than his trot of choice which means he amuses himself by high stepping even more than usual, so I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have upset any speed traps but it's interesting how people still see him. It also made me realise that anyone who passes us while we're totting almost certainly isn't sticking to 10mph!

• Haha
It seems to upset a lot of them @Huggy and I can't say I blame them, for a prey animal not being able to see must be worrying and sound is funny in fog too. It was too foggy for me to consider riding this morning, but then I have roadwork whichever way I go.

Talk about double standards!

Tiny little girl wants to fuss him and he stands like a rock while she strokes his leg, then very slowly dropped and turned his head to snuffle her hair which she loved. Minutes later I wanted him to stand for a couple of cars to go past, nope that was an impossibility that produced jogging on the spot. pawing, going backwards and a mini rear :rolleyes: . Cobs!

• Haha
Luka says he will be looking for a new home, one that treats cobs properly, if I hose his legs again!IMG_2065.JPGIMG_2071.JPG

Well he made a major miscalculation Wednesday night and decided he wasn't coming in, so I left him out - there's loads of grass, company, he had a rug on and there's plenty of shelter from hedges and the lie of the land. Next morning I nearly got flattened when I called him, and very splattered with mud! Let him have some time with a haynet while he had a good groom then gave him last night's dinner and put him back out. Back out was under protest! That evening he came as soon as he saw me, no calling needed, and he was quick tonight too. Clearly he doesn't think 24/7 is a good option yet 🤣 . The other two winters I've had him he hasn't settled in the stable like he has this year and has been out for some time by now.

My husband thinks he thought I'd do what my friend who does him when I'm away and go back up once it was getting dark, I suspect he's right!

• Haha
Reactions: Jessey
@Jessey I have to admit that if the weather had been bad I would have gone and got him, but it was a nice evening and he's a cob so staying out wasn't going to kill him - it seems he felt differently though, thank goodness cobs can't use phones or he'd have ben calling the RSPCA 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com