New boy on the block

An interesting take on yesterday from a non-horsey friend. I'd got an appointment at the dentist in the afternoon and I get very stressed about it (think cannot stay in a waiting room and will need my asthma inhaler beforehand, cannot eat that day until after I've been for fear of throwing up) and while I thought I'd been ok in the morning maybe I'd been more wound up about it than I thought and was passing that tension on to him? It made a lot of sense.

Reactions: Jessey and Huggy
I took him out for a longer ride on his own today, though I had to change my planned route because there was clay pigeon shooting going on in a field next to the byway I was planning on using to make a circular route. Given the noise it was making from several fields away going right by it didn't feel like a wise choice! Mind you doubling back on ourselves, despite a small look around a housing estate, wasn't the best either since I ended up with a hyper Luka who thought that every time I ducked under a branch or bramble he had permission to canter even though the footing was such that any sensible horse would be very careful walking :rolleyes:. Overall I was very pleased with him today though, it was at least 4 miles on his own and going back the way we went which I know winds him up. Yes there were a few unasked for trots and canters offered but he came back straight away every time, and no silly bouncing. One trot I let him get a little too onward bound - with a trot like his it is tempting to see what he can do if allowed, and now I know the answer is nearly fly - and he was a bit argumentative about coming back calmly but nothing nasty and hey, rider error not his.

@Huggy I think he got home looking more full of energy than when he went out, how's your work on energy transfer going? I'm not sure I'll be walking properly tomorrow after all that power walking 🤣

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey

I took him out for a longer ride on his own today, though I had to change my planned route because there was clay pigeon shooting going on in a field next to the byway I was planning on using to make a circular route. Given the noise it was making from several fields away going right by it didn't feel like a wise choice! Mind you doubling back on ourselves, despite a small look around a housing estate, wasn't the best either since I ended up with a hyper Luka who thought that every time I ducked under a branch or bramble he had permission to canter even though the footing was such that any sensible horse would be very careful walking :rolleyes:. Overall I was very pleased with him today though, it was at least 4 miles on his own and going back the way we went which I know winds him up. Yes there were a few unasked for trots and canters offered but he came back straight away every time, and no silly bouncing. One trot I let him get a little too onward bound - with a trot like his it is tempting to see what he can do if allowed, and now I know the answer is nearly fly - and he was a bit argumentative about coming back calmly but nothing nasty and hey, rider error not his.

@Huggy I think he got home looking more full of energy than when he went out, how's your work on energy transfer going? I'm not sure I'll be walking properly tomorrow after all that power walking 🤣
Kind of hard to transfer something if its not there, lol. I'm going to take him out more frequently, in the hope that that elusive energy starts to show itself. Pray for me.

• Haha
Reactions: carthorse
@Huggy I was thinking more of you transferring energy from Luka to Hogan, I don't want more!!!!! I wish you luck on the energy hunt, I'm afraid that over the years I've come to the conclusion they are what they are and it's often better to accept it, joking aside if I'd wanted a quiet plod I wouldn't have bought Luka.

• Haha
Reactions: Huggy
@Huggy I was thinking more of you transferring energy from Luka to Hogan, I don't want more!!!!! I wish you luck on the energy hunt, I'm afraid that over the years I've come to the conclusion they are what they are and it's often better to accept it, joking aside if I'd wanted a quiet plod I wouldn't have bought Luka.
And I wanted something slow and steady - well I got half at least :rolleyes:. As far as energy transfers go, Luka must try harder - poor effort ;).

I will have words with him @Huggy, I really will! Even if he just started by using the energy he used to set off in canter on the way home and then argue about stopping you'd probably notice slightly less need for prayers - and I wouldn't feel the need to mutter one either! I'd just got him back when we came across a group of dog walkers who were more appreciative of his rubber ball act than I was, the man at the back said he looked like he was expecting a gallop and then called me a spoilsport when I said he'd just been pulled up from a stolen fast canter - not sure he'd have been so appreciative if we'd blasted by at that speed! Future attempts to break the trot into a cater when going home will be dealt with instantly, lesson learned.

Reactions: Huggy
Welsh D mare, stallion was Hackney x cob. In real life he can look like a chunky Sec D - my initial reaction on seeing him and being told he was registered as a part bred D was that one parent was unregistered D - and is often mistaken for one, but then you see him move and it's obvious there's something else there because his movement is too exaggerated for a D.

He actually loves the Shetty and tolerates all sorts of antics from him, but he was too close to the gate when I was about to bring in so had to be moved. You should see him move the one he isn't so keen on, now that's not a pretty sight although even then he never does more than threaten. Him and the Shetland playing is comical, it bites his knees and hocks and if Luka hasn't got a rug on to grab and get a tow round he'll hand onto his tail - and the muppet lets him and canters round at funny angles to avoid catching him!

I should have had my camera yesterday, Luka had a rug on in the rain and the Shetty was standing mostly under him using him and his rug as shelter, now that was a sight as Luka was trying to get to the gate without treading on him :rolleyes:

A good boy today. I've been on holiday for 8days so he's done absolutely nothing - yo has fed and hayed him and a friend given him a bit of fuss in the field but that's all. Now in the past even a few days of broken routine has produced big setbacks, but today while he was a bit spooky to lead in he was otherwise good to do and ride. Even good to get on. The only slight hitch was I wasn't allowed out of sight, luckily it was easy to take him to the car to get my saddle and put it away, change my boots and have a look at a map with a friend - as long as he was included hanging around and sticking his nose in everything wasn't a problem. For a sometimes spooky horse he's very nosy :rolleyes:

I don't doubt the warm weather helped, he's nearly always a lot quieter when it's warm.

Reactions: Jessey and Huggy

A year today!

In that time he's lost some weight, though still not skinny, grown at least an inch and learned to trust again. Hacking is no longer anxious obedience and a head carriage so high that I used to wonder what I was missing, and his paces are, generally, looser and fast rather than tight and fast He's turning into a good little hack alone and in company, indeed my friend yesterday commented on how good and bold he was! He still wants to be where ever I am, but at least he isn't breaking ropes to find me now which is what he was doing when he finally realised he once more had a person who wanted him and wasn't put off by some of his stallion like posturing - I still think the reason he was so easy to turn around with some consistent kindness was the time he'd spent with his breeder where he was much loved. Even mounting is no longer such a performance as long as we follow a routine.

He was maybe a bit more work than I'd expected, not helped by having him at the wrong yard for a while, but overall I'm incredibly happy with him and have politely turned down a few good offers from people wanting to buy him - he's not going anywhere!

• Love
Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
newrider.com