Nervous Nelly was brave today!!

Happy Hacker 01

Jul 8, 2009
Well I've just returned from my first social ride with our local riding club. I wasn't sure what to expect so was very nervous this morning and almost OD'd on the Rescue Remedy!! (Great stuff btw!! Another useful tip I've taken from NR)

Anyway, my friend and I hacked up to the meeting point (about an hour away from our yard) The horses were good as gold once we'd got there, especially as a few of the other horses were rather exitable!

After a mulled wine, we set off. All in all there were around 30 horses and ponies and ride was to take around 2 hours. Shadow was well behaved, jogged the whole way, although that was to be expected!

We generally stuck to the back as the pace up the front of the ride was very fast on the tracks, although I can't say we were exactly plodding! Had a couple of canters (one slightly more controlled than the other! :rolleyes:)

I didn't finish the whole ride, we ended up right near my yard, and after having witnessed a couple of falls, and having a very excitable sweaty horse, I decided to call it a day for this time, I wanted to end on a good note so wouldn't be put off for the next one!

So quite pleased with myself really, very much out of my comfort zone, but I actually really enjoyed it, and was a bit dissapointed that I left in the end. Oh well, there's always next time!! :D

Last edited:
Well done you :D Very, very impressed sounds like a great ride. dont be disappointed with yourself for bailing out when you were near home - I think that was probably very sensible to end on a good note - had you carried on and something relatively minor (but seriously unnerving!;)) had happened it would have spoilt the whole thing for you and led to more attacks of nerves for the next time wouldnt it?:)

Well done, and a good idea to head home once your yard was in sight;) as others have already said, its always a good idea to end on a good note

Look forward to reading about the next one.

Going on a hack with 29 others :eek::eek: That sounds a bit crazy, the most I've ever gone out with was 4!! Glad you enjoyed it and Shadow was well behaved, I don't think I'd have been brave enough :eek:

newrider.com