Napping - what is and isnt acceptable

annareeves0

Dec 18, 2007
Bournemouth, Dorset
Wasnt sure where to put this but guess Im looking for an NH friendly response so this seems as good a place as any.

Napping; when Rosie thinks she is on her way home she gets faster. In the past this has been stupid fast and jogging and she winds herself up and goes from being chilled and unflappable to being speedy and spooky. Most of the time I counteract this by changing routes, mixing it up, when we get to within sight of home going back round on another loop etc and its been great and most of the time it doesnt happen BUT this isnt always possible. In the past it really used to frighten me and would put me off riding her, especially in particular places but now that Im not frightened of it any more and can keep control I feel ready to look at it in a bit more depth and from her perspective. So, here are the two opposing scenarios - Im just not sure which one is right although Im kind of more inclined to go with B. I will say I absolutely draw the line at 'jogging' and will not accept it. We are talking about a very fast walk only.

a) Im the rider, its her responsibility to go at the speed I say and that if she starts rushing I should take whatever measures to calm her down and walk at the pace I choose, which generally on the way home is dead slow. This may mean circling, sideways, backing up, hind quarter disengages, turning round and going back the way we came etc etc - the idea being to get her to focus on me and my requests and to be obedient. If I let her rush then it establishes a pattern that this is acceptable behaviour and it will continue to the extent that she will think that she can always and actually should behave like this on the way home. By stopping her from doing it at all we are not setting up the expectation that its OK

b) She knows we are on the way home, shes keen to get there and therefore enthusiastic and excited. It doesnt matter that she gets faster and more active as she remains under control and although a little more likely to spook than normal isnt scarey or stupid and can be reassured that everything is fine. Stopping her from going at this pace just winds her up and makes everything worse - akin to me being in 'business mode' and people trying to make me sit and do nothing - it would make me really angry! By retaining overall control but allowing her to walk fast we are showing her that we understand her anxiety/excitement and can work with it but I am still in charge. By allowing her to express herself but still remain under my leadership in time she will feel the need to behave in this way less and less as she gets used to the whole idea.

So which do you think is true, if any, or is there a third or fourth explanation Im not even considering? The bottom line question is: should I let her walk much faster on the way home and it will settle itself in time or should I nip it in the bud before it become a much bigger issue?

I think it's mostly your decision, you do what you feel comfortable with.

With my horses I allow them to walk faster as they are keen to get home, if they jog I bring them back to a walk. If they get over excited and start to get strong or silly, I will halt them and make them stand till I ask them to walk of again, and I will do that till they are settled again. Usually they just walk fast now on the way home which I am fine with but they will stand as long as I ask them to if they get silly.

I would vote with A on princples, however if I was in your shoes (v lucky Im not, its not one of the "napping tactics" madam adopts!) I would probably be voting for B!

She knows she is heading to the security of others, no more work and probably a feed/treat

I suspect most horses are like that to some extent, some more than others. Rio for one has always had a bit of a tendency to go faster on the way home than the way out, it doesn't help that there are some nice fast bits just before we get within sight of home :D It's not an easy thing to overcome completely as it's basically instinctive, so I think it's more a case of finding a compromise that you can both live with, possibly a mix of a and b if you like. And also look for as much energy and enthusiasm on the way out, as they're clearly capable of it on the way home :D

This is a really interesting thread for me because this is Ziggy's biggest problem (apart from lack of brakes when going faster than trot :wink:). The dealer I bought him from said she had completely failed to stop him rushing home, and it was her pet hate.

My RI says it is not acceptable for him to dictate the speed of his walk and he needs to go at the speed I want: "Who is taking who for a ride here?" When she hacks him out, she stops him if he walks faster than she would like. He generally behaves well for her, perhaps because he knows he can't get away with it.

Last year by the autumn we had got to the stage where he only rushed home every other hack. I think though that on every hack there would be some point where he felt he had to rush - I think it's partly an anxiety thing for him. If I was very strong and consistent about not allowing it he got better, and we had several occasions where he strolled home on a loose rein, really relaxed and lovely for both of us.

For Ziggy I think it's a combination of his sensitivity/anxiety and the normal "there is food and rest at home" thing. I certainly haven't nailed how to deal with it yet. I will be really interested in what others say!

I think what is really interesting is MY response. When I was a nervous Nellie I was absolutely all about A - it had to be my way and I couldnt tolerate her rushing and we had many battles over it and much stress.

Now that I am more confident, got more miles under my belt and trust/know her more I can say 'why does it matter?' Before I wouldn't even consider it.

On the flip side trying to stop her all the time hasn't worked so perhaps trying the exact opposite and leave her alone to work it out herself is what we need? What I have been doing recently is avoiding those rides altogether!

I am curious that you are able to avoid the rides. Ziggy always knows, even on a hack we haven't done before, when we are heading for home - the moment we are more than 50% of the way around. And Ping! He speeds up!

I am curious that you are able to avoid the rides. Ziggy always knows, even on a hack we haven't done before, when we are heading for home - the moment we are more than 50% of the way around. And Ping! He speeds up!

98% of the time if she rushes towards home I'll veer off and do another small loop or plan to ride a figure 8 so we get near the van and then go off again. I also avoid using the same route home etc and this has solved the problem.

It's only one or two rides where I HAVE to retrace my steps to get back that she gets really silly. If you are having problems all the time then deliberately 'tricking' them into thinking they are going home and then make them work really hard going in the opposite direction works a treat! Got to keep 'em guessing :)

I think your right by letting her walk fast but not Jog Anna, i would do the same because your still controlling her speed at the end of the day arent you :smile:

Jogging i too would draw the line at, tis unacceptable :yellowcarded:

My lad has a different type of napping, he wont speed up he will just Nap to certain objects like the gate, OH etc

Saying that ive never really seen what his tempo is really like on the way back, because i love going quickly on the way back home :giggle:

I have this problem with Bertie but I actually enjoy his 'power walk' on the way home! Wish he was like this on the way out! For the last couple of windy weather rides I have done this week he was very stubborn! It took me 10 minutes to get off the yard and onto the bridleway. He kept planting himself, I urged him on, he takes a step...good boy Bertie :smug:... then plants himself :frown: but when we head home its a different story! You are not alone! I would also go for plan B and just maintain a walk as you have said. :smile:

Oh this brought back memories

My horse Evie had a talent -- she always knew when she was half way round a hack - didn't seem to matter WHERE we were!

so outward journey -- slow!!!

half way -- NOW we had a forward walk and a tendency to break gait

so I did two things:

1. I strongly reinforced my rule of "don't change gait until I ask you" -- so I would let her walk as fast as she liked -- but if she trotted I would ask her to walk once, a second time -- the thrid time she was disengaged and brought to a halt until she mentally yielded and relaxed before being allowed to walk on....

2. I USED the energy! since calm AND forward is needed in order to do a lot of riding moves -- especially lateral ones, when she was striding out, I would do leg yields from one side fo the track to the other, then shoulder in, and haunches in and out...great fun! the lateral move itself slows her a bit -- but thanks to the forward movement we can do the lateral moves wihout grinding to a halt like we do in the arena

so this way we BOTH win -- she gets to walk as fast as she likes = but *I* get to channel that walk into practicing moves she doesn't like doing in the arena

these moves, by the way, are not just for showing off - but are really good exercises for suppling your horse and hleping her stay soft and fit for a longer life

we can do some of this in May if you like on the course!

Cathy

Like Fth, my horse is more forward on way home and while I'm sure he'd happily convey me the whole way, I make sure I ride every inch of it!

I then practice halting every 20 paces or so to stop him rushing mindlessly, and forgetting I'm there. Leg yields around cars, shoulder in...transitions, letting the rein out and taking it back.

I also occasionally, get nearly home then take him in a different direction - even if it's just 5 minutes up the road so he doesnt get in the habit of becoming a homing pigeon!

Goes off to trawl the books to find out what all those 'shoulder in' type terms actually mean. We can probably do them (inadvertently!) but don't know a) what they are called or b) how to ask properly! I guess that's a yes please for May ;) It makes sense to me to use that energy for something constructive - I'll def think about what we can work on :)

newrider.com