Napping Horse

'SillySkewbald

Jun 27, 2009
Oxfordshire :)
Hello :)
I ride a 15.2hh cob called Guiness. He isn't a 'natural' jumper yet still tries :D The problem we have is when ever he jumps he always tries to nap to his friends. When he first did this i fell off however now am use to it! :) He does it in flat work to but not with me any more as i am can predict it now but with jumping never can. He can be strong when he wants to and i find it really hard to control him when he goes off on one! It is really embarresing when he charges off towards an innocent looking pony :rolleyes:
Any one have any tips for me how i can stop him, he goes off literally one stride after the jump. Should i go for a 1-1 jumping lesson so i can work on my position first? So that i can predict it more or do you guys have any other tips?
Thank you for reading :) Please Comment
'SillySkewbald

providing he isnt in any pain... Leg leg leg! my horse is a buggar for napping. i have to use loads of leg and persistence and not give too much rein either. Any chance you can position the jumps away from his pals? so he cant even see them when you want him jumping. get him going forward, little half halts down the rein and off you go. haha makes it sound so easy. Is worth getting your position sorted, so not to knock him off balance too. If he naps shorten the rein which side you want him to go so he cant see his pals, stay soft but firm and loads of leg on the opposite side to get him moving away from the pressure. bring him around in a cirlce right where he is napping and do it a couple of times each time you ride, so he gets used to not napping. mine tends to do it at the same spot every time! my friend gave me this advice and i cant fault it.
Good luck.

Thank you :) Really helped. Will Try it next time i ride him. He isnt in Pain (well i don't think so) As he is a riding school horse and the riding school always have the dentist, farrier, saddler down etc. He is just a cheeky boy! :) Thank you again, i think i will have a private jump lesson with him, so i can get my balance better then jump with his mates around him :)
Thanks again
'SillySkewbald

Hi, SillySkewbald
Napping is a funny old habit and it is surprising how much it can vary. The best advice I was EVER given to do with napping was "don't stop looking at where you want to go". Now, don't get me wrong, it can be sickly at times, but it works and you become DETERMINED to get back to where you want to be. Keep him moving at all times, if he naps and runs off with you to where he wants to be, don't stop and let each other catch your breath, keep moving! It doesn't matter what pace you are going, make sure you get to where you want to be! To be honest, in this situation, I think it is just a trial and error thing and working on getting you to recognise when he is going to go off on one, and how to help prevent it. :)

Hi, SillySkewbald
Napping is a funny old habit and it is surprising how much it can vary. The best advice I was EVER given to do with napping was "don't stop looking at where you want to go". Now, don't get me wrong, it can be sickly at times, but it works and you become DETERMINED to get back to where you want to be. Keep him moving at all times, if he naps and runs off with you to where he wants to be, don't stop and let each other catch your breath, keep moving! It doesn't matter what pace you are going, make sure you get to where you want to be! To be honest, in this situation, I think it is just a trial and error thing and working on getting you to recognise when he is going to go off on one, and how to help prevent it. :)

Also very good advice :)

newrider.com