N_J’s Riding School Diary

N_J

Feb 9, 2011
My name is Nicola and I have recently had a complete confidence meltdown and have decided to keep this diary to be able to track my progress and pin point any problems that may arise.

A bit of background first;

I started riding at 38 after never being on a horse before. I have been riding now for 2 years and had only a couple off falls (and more than a few ‘wobbles’ ).

Last winter I had a change of ri, my last fall and completely lost all my confidence with my riding ability. With another change of ri and lots of encouragement I regained it all back and had a fab summer with no issues at all.

I was riding twice a week with my friend, ½ hour group and 1 hour group lessons.

Coming back into this winter, my fab ri left my rs and other riders joined the hour group lesson. The lesson seemed to be all about going as fast as you can, over as many jumps as you can. I felt that I wasn’t enjoying the lesson and that I wasn’t really learning to ride, it was more about just staying on.

As my friend was having the same issues, we had word with the manager and decided to start having 1 hour semi private lesson together. We were given a new ri, who we told all about our issues and who agreed we needed lots of confidence boosting lessons to get us back on track.

We have continued with the ½ hour group lesson as there is only the two of us in that lesson at the moment.

So for the last 3 weeks, we have spent the hour semi private lessons going no fast than trot, as most of our issues are with cantering. The ri agreed that although we wouldn’t canter, we would work on preparing for canter. So we started working on our position, to help us feel more secure in the saddle. We have been working on our lower leg position with lots and lots of sitting trot, circles and serpentines in sitting trot and transitions between rising and sitting trot in collected trot and extended trot into the corners.

In the ½ group lesson, we have still been cantering but the ri allocates the horses and puts us on ones that she knows we are comfortable with.

Both ri’s commented that my lower leg position is very good and they both know I can ride, it is my faith in my own riding ability that I have to over come.

Part of my problem is that I watch the children’s lessons at the weekend as my daughter rides, and I see some of the horses I ride, whizzing round as fast as anything. I know it is all about the riders ability to control the horse but get scared that I haven’t got that ability and they would whiz off with me!!! One ri last year wanted to ban me watching the kids as he said it made me worse, but I can’t not watch my child can I???

Ohh just need to add, one lesson over xmas, I rode the baby of the rs. My ri seemed quite impressed at how well I rode him, he even worked in an outline (which he probably doesn’t even know what it is!!!) He is really sweet, tried to strike off into canter but realised that I didn’t want it and came back to trot immediately. He didn’t flinch when trotting down one side of the arena when two horses came racing past in the next arena. I think the reason he went so well was that because I knew I wasn’t cantering, I felt confident which must have given him confidence in me.

So that’s where I am at the moment. I’ll try and update this diary either after every lesson or every week and hopefully be able to track the improvements I’m making.

Tuesday

Got to the rs, to find that I’m riding the whizzy oap :unsure: Wasn’t to pleased as I could see in the prior lesson she looked like a coiled spring, ready to ‘ping’ at the slightest chance.

Had a quiet word with the ri, who agreed I could swap with one of the others, phew.

Worked on position in sitting trot without stirrups and have to admit that I did feel more secure now my legs are in the correct position. Did some circles and serpentines and finished off with a canter in each rein (with stirrups back of course).

RI commented on our well postioned legs but I need to relax my top half of my body, especially in canter. I know I tense up and that leads me to tip forward slightly (which probably leads to the horse speeding up, which makes me more tense etc) tis a vicious circle.

I know I need to think ‘sit back, relax and breathe’ but what is mainly going through my mind is oh :poop: oh :poop: oh :poop:

Friend nearly had a melt down too but we did laugh about it later, so all in all, a good lesson :dance:

Thursday

Had another good lesson last night.

We managed to ride in the outdoor arena and dodge the rain :dance:

We rode more forward going horses and did lots of transitions from extended rising trot to sitting trot around the corners, circles, figures of eight, serpentines and riding over raised trotting poles.

I must have been feeling the horse speed up so started to tip slightly forward, which then caused him to speed up more. Towards the end of the lesson, I did managed to start sitting back and felt him slow down.......... if I can get this ingrained into my brain I'd be much better. My brain just turns to mush and my body just does what it wants!!!!

On the plus side, I'm feeling sooo much more confident in sitting trot. I'm barely having to 'think' about my leg position any more :smug:

Tuesday

Thanks C&M, I do hope so.

Tuesday dinner I recieved a text from my mate saying she couldn't make the lesson that evening :cry:
I don't usually like riding on my own for a couple of reasons, I don't like being the center of attention and get nervous also I like having a 'back of the ride' as security that if the horse takes off, it'll stop when it gets to the back :giggle:

So I 'manned' up and went on my own. I rode a horse that I have rode before, although she is known for tripping alot, so that made me nervous before I had even got on!!

So we started off warming up and she was being as good as gold. We were working on transitions between trot and halt. The ri had made a large square in the middle of the arena using trotting poles, and we had to turn down the centre line in trot and halt in the box. Once halted, we had to go straight back to trot. Then we had to turn into the box across the arena, poor horse thought she was turning in :yellowcarded: Didn't quite make her trot into the box but she certainly trotted out.

BUT, I was starting to get nervous about cantering. We did some transitions from rising trot to sitting trot and then it was time for the canter.

And all that worring that she would race off with me, I couldn't even get more that 3 strides of canter!!!

So, the lesson was good as I rode on my own and it was the trippy horse (who incidentally didn't trip once :smug: so maybe goes better when she is on her own) but frustrating that I couldn't get more canter :banghead:

Looking forward to tonights lesson.

Thursday's Lesson

Ooops a bt late in posting!!

Last Thursday's lesson was a good lesson. I rode my favourite horse and friend rode the trippy horse I rode on Tuesdays.

Worked on 20m circles, serpentines and diamond shapes in sitting trot with and without stirrups.

Very good lesson.

Tuesdays Lesson and some bad news

Tuesday lesson I rode on of the younger cobs who is lovely. Friend rode her favourite 'plod'.

We did leg yielding, which my horse did Ok with considering he is only young.

I did struggle to get him to canter but to be fair the ri said the lady who had rode him before I did struggled as well. She decided to hop on him and just see if there was a problem with him cantering, but it just seems neither of us were being firm enough with him :redcarded:

After she jumped off, I had another go, and managed to get a few strides. He is very responsive to aids on the reins, so think I must have given a slight squeeze down the rein and he came back to trot........ but I did manage it :biggrin:

Friend managed to get the 'plod' straight into canter AND on the correct canter lead both times (which is amazing as he is never on the correct one). She was buzzing afterwards :dance:

After the lesson, we found out that our Thursday instructor had left, we are both gutted :cry:

Thursdays Lesson and Good News

I got to the rs wondering who will be our ri.

So we went onto the yard to find friends daughter's ri is teaching us from now on which we were both very happy with :dance: and we were both rode the same horses as we rode on Tuesdsay.

We decided that after Tuesday, maybe we should bite the bullet and have a cantering lesson.

Ri decided to do some work on sititng trot on circles and serpentines and then do some stirrupless work.

Then for the last 15 minutes we did some cantering. As we wanted to go back to basics, one of us stayed in halt whilst the other one cantered to the back.

I managed to get canter a couple of times, although I'm probably not quite firm enough for him. I did struggle to try and keep him going though, must be the movement of my hands that is bringing him back to trot.

Friend got canter (and correct canter lead) no problem........ show off!!!

When we left the lesson, I did feel like I wanted to do more, which is definitely a good sign that I am moving in the right direction.

Ri said for next week to ride my favourite as I am quite confidant on him, just to get used to cantering more, which I am very happy about.

Roll on next week :running:

Your issues sound so similar to mine. It does seem like you are moving in the right direction though, so I hope it continues to go well and that you keep updating us! :wink:

back.

When we left the lesson, I did feel like I wanted to do more, which is definitely a good sign that I am moving in the right direction.

This is great :dance:, my RI said to me last week its always a good place to stop when you still want to do more.
I can see a lot of us are heading towards a wonderful summer of confident riding out our ponios :dance:

Sounds like you are having a great time :) That must be sending your confidence right back up again?

Charlie & Me, I'm really enjoying my lessons and feeling excited for my next one, which must prove it's coming back.

Your issues sound so similar to mine. It does seem like you are moving in the right direction though, so I hope it continues to go well and that you keep updating us! :wink:

I do feel that I am heading in the right direction LBrider but think it's :poop: how one time I can be right as rain whizzing round then a couple of weeks feel scared stiff :cold:

This is great :dance:, my RI said to me last week its always a good place to stop when you still want to do more.
I can see a lot of us are heading towards a wonderful summer of confident riding out our ponios :dance:

That's what I thought Dizzy Woo, finish on a high.

I think so many of us are in the process of getting our confidance back, it's gonna be a great summer.

Tuesday Lesson

Arrived at the rs to find I was ridding the rs 'plod' (much to the annoyance of friend lol).

There were another three returning riders in our lesson (which has just been the two of us for quite a while). I did feel a bit put out at first but by the end of the lesson was more than happy to have extra riders with us (friend and i seem to feed off each others nerves :yellowcarded:).

We worked on some circles and sitting trot and I felt very happy to have to keep half halting the 'plod' as he was going so well :biggrin:

Had a canter at the end of the lesson, couldn't manage in the first corner but did get him to canter (on the correct leg :dance: ) in the next one.

I do struggle with the canter transition, which is something I really need to work on.

Am looking forward to tonights lesson. I'm down to ride one of my favourites, who I can get to canter no problem, so hoping for a really good confidant boosting lesson.

Just hoping for a mini heat wave for tonight coz it'll be far to cold :cold:.......... don't think my chances are looking good though :bounce:

Had a canter at the end of the lesson, couldn't manage in the first corner but did get him to canter (on the correct leg :dance: ) in the next one.

I do struggle with the canter transition, which is something I really need to work on.

Am looking forward to tonights lesson. I'm down to ride one of my favourites, who I can get to canter no problem, so hoping for a really good confidant boosting lesson.

Isnt this great - well done you - in less than a month of posting you have gone from

So for the last 3 weeks, we have spent the hour semi private lessons going no fast than trot, as most of our issues are with cantering. The ri agreed that although we wouldn’t canter, we would work on preparing for canter (posted 18th Jan - dont know how to multi quote :redface:).

to the above - your confidence is soaring and long may it continue :biggrin:

Isnt this great - well done you - in less than a month of posting you have gone from

So for the last 3 weeks, we have spent the hour semi private lessons going no fast than trot, as most of our issues are with cantering. The ri agreed that although we wouldn’t canter, we would work on preparing for canter (posted 18th Jan - dont know how to multi quote :redface:).

to the above - your confidence is soaring and long may it continue :biggrin:

Aww thanks Dizzy Woo, it is soaring and I'm so happy about it :biggrin:

I'm actually looking forward to lessons now rather than thinking 'I don't really want to go'.

Thursday's Lesson - wet but fun

Well last night I was hoping for a miracle heat wave or the use of the indoor arena......... but got neither.

So it was a very wet lesson, riding around puddles and battling to try and keep my glasses from steaming up.

I rode my favourite horsey and my friend rode her favourite (the plod).

I had added an extra layer of clothing incase we were outside, but to be honest, after 20 minutes I was boiling.

We were working on shallow loops, circles, serpetines and leg yielding. We did try some shoulder in (I think it was called) but I think my horse just rolled his eyes and pretended he didn't know what I was asking for (more like trying to ask for).

We only had a couple of canters on each rein, whilst trying to dodge the puddles. I had been told by the rider prior to me that my horse was bucking in canter, but he was lovely with me and didn't buck once.

He did make me laugh as after 30 minutes, ri told us to walk to let them cool off a little. My horse must have thought it was only a half hour lesson and wanted to turn in, he got a shock when we started to trot again :yellowcarded:

Friends horse just wanted to play in the puddles and had a wonderful canter stright through the biggest one (don't think friend thought it was wonderful though but it was very funny :giggle: )

I could hear him right behind me stomping through as many puddles as fast as he could, he was having lots of fun.

At the end we were all very wet and both horses were steaming, ri said mine looked like a dragon with all the steam coming out of his nose :giggle:

So we may not have done as much as we wanted but it was a fun lesson.

Tuesdays Lesson

Well today my friend wasn't riding but a couple of the new girls were.

Got to the rs and whilst putting my boots on, caught sight of my daughters favourite horse staring at me out of the stable. She had been sold (much to daughters dismay) but I'm assuming it didn't work out as she is back. My first thought was 'oh :poop: she is in so someone must be riding her tonight, hope it's not me!!!' Being the brave (not) and bad mum I am :ninja: I always leave daughter to ride her first, as her seat is much better then mine!!

Anyhooo, I wasn't riding her but my favourite one (again!!)

Did some work without stirrups, which I really don't like doing. I was a bit worried coz this horse can be quite speedy and he has a tendancy to rush to to the horse in front of him so he has to come back to walk for a few strides. This can make hom quite bouncy as he can often be stop start.

We were in lead file, so he couldn't do this and was very well behaved. He did speed up slightly (think he had heard the'c' word from ri) but with a couple of half halts, came back to a steady trot :smug:

The new girls had brougth another friend with them who hasn't ridden for a few years. They were on the rs 'plods' although I know that those horses can work very nicely when they want to but think they were just taking the **** :redcarded:

As they are new back to riding, we ended up halting as a ride and cantering to the back whilst the rest stayed in halt. It meant we didn't really get much room to canter but I was happy enough as mine was the only one to get a decent canter :inlove:

Ri said next week we will work on our canter and guess what....... I'm looking forward to it, even knowing that it is highly likely I wont be on my favourite horse (OMG did I just write that lol)

My confidence is growing and I'm really enjoying myself at the moment :bounce:

Fantabalastic :dance: you are sounding so much more confident - looking forward to cantering - its great to read your posts - well done :wink:

Last edited:
Great stuff! You are doing so well. It might be good to have a complete of more novicey people in your lessons - make you realise how far you've come!

Fantabalastic :dance: you are sounding so much more confident - looking forward to cantering - its great to read your posts - well done :wink:

Aww thanks Dizzy Woo.

QUOTE=sophie33;2747932]Great stuff! You are doing so well. It might be good to have a complete of more novicey people in your lessons - make you realise how far you've come![/QUOTE]

Thanks Sophie33, I was trying to think of a way to say that myself without coming across as being big headed.

newrider.com