My poorly foot

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Not horse related for once 😝 went camping and to walk some of the coast this weekend, got about 10 miles away and stopped for some lunch on the side of the trail, get up to carry on and my foot is killing me. Had another 3 miles to a bus stop, then a mile back from the bus to camp, every step was agony even with ibuprofen and co-dydramol. No clue what I did, didn’t roll it or anything and no lumps or bruising yesterday and it doesn’t hurt to move or poke and fine if I don’t put weight on it.

This morning I can’t walk on it, still no swelling but a bit discoloured on the top/outside of my foot, got easier as I staggered around leaning on a stick to break camp. Drove home and nearly face planted out of the car as it was worse again. Discolouration gone but now a bit puffy but very localised on the foot not ankle 🤷🏻‍♀️ Sat down for an hour, and near fell on my face again when I tried to move 😏 just dug my crutches out as got horses to do later and the farrier coming!

You know what my doctor daughter would say. Go to a minor injuries centre or A&E. You need an X ray. I gained nothing by walking round with a broken ankle. That ankle still aches a bit. I think I posted before that, to my surprise, my ankles have been the worst weakness in returning to ride after Covid and continuing to ride.
There are no medals for not looking after yourself. Call a taxi if necessary.

I agree with @Skib, it sounds bad enough to need someone to have a look at it. Perhaps you have a little fracture (though Heaven knows how)? Anyway it sounds horrid, I hope you get to the bottom of it.

I’ll see how it is later after the farrier, I doubt there’s anything broken as it doesn’t hurt unless I’m stood on it. A couple of days of ice will probably sort it out.

I also think it probably needs looking at. How much arch support do the footwear you were walking in have, and was the distance and ground similar to what you're used to walking? It could be as simple as you've strained or bruised something in your foot, or possible got a stress factor. Yes you should get it checked, but since it's foot rather than ankle I bet they tell you to rest it, ideally with ice and elevation. Fingers crossed whatever it is heals up soon 🤗

Reactions: Jessey
If it helps Jessey, I probably wouldn't go to A&E yet either! If it's not getting better in a few days, do reconsider though.

Hopefully it's not too painful & gets better on its own very quickly :)

Lots of get well vibes for your foot. I probably wouldn't go to a & e at this stage or my doctor but that's just me. I'd rest when possible and hope that it comes right. Sending special horse-person need-to-get better-asap vibes x

It’s awful after rest but after a couple of hours toddling about at the yard I could get my heel to the ground without buckling from pain, I don’t think anything is broken as I can crouch on the balls of my feet without pain 🤷🏻‍♀️ Nurse mum thinks it’s probably a ligament stretched.
I was walking in my merrell hiking boots that I use for search and rescue, and used for Snowdon, and are normally fine for that sort of distance and more. But there was a stretch of a few miles on a steep stoney beach right before we stopped for lunch, so it probably it just that.

Reactions: carthorse
My mum had Plantar fasciitis which sounds similar depending where the pain is as she was in agony first standing on it after resting but it would ease a bit the more she moved around, hopefully it resolves soon

My mum had Plantar fasciitis which sounds similar depending where the pain is as she was in agony first standing on it after resting but it would ease a bit the more she moved around, hopefully it resolves soon

This is what sprung to mind for me too - not that I know anything about it other than a colleague had it and its extremely painful. Hope you feel better soon Jessey.

Ah, you have had medical advice! Well, I hope it goes on improving. I know you're tough :)

PS I really hope it's not plantar fasciitis because that is REALLY REALLY painful.

I had plantar fasciitis year before last and the pain is stabbing at times. It does get easier to walk once you are up and about, things like sitting down to dinner and then trying to get up to go to bed were difficult. There’s nothing to see on the outside with it either. It’s not something that caused swelling for me anyway. It generally gets better on its own but can take up to two years. For me it was just over a year. I think mine was caused by standing for hours on end hand grazing Storm.

The pain is in the wrong place for plantar fasciitis thankfully, the swelling spread this morning even though I kept it bandages over night but it’s less painful. I opted to work from home today so I could elevate and ice it all day, hoping resting now will have it healed faster as I’ve got plans that require my foot working in a few weeks.

The pain is in the wrong place for plantar fasciitis thankfully, the swelling spread this morning even though I kept it bandages over night but it’s less painful. I opted to work from home today so I could elevate and ice it all day, hoping resting now will have it healed faster as I’ve got plans that require my foot working in a few weeks.
I find injuries are worse first thing in the morning and during the night if you get up to the bathroom. I hope yours heals fast, it's really awful when you are used to being so busy and mobile and require your body to be in full working order!

I broke mine just bending my foot over by placing it not entirely on a level surface, stepping partly on the ridge along side a track to the car park. But it is true that some small things cant be splinted and that as one ages one tolerates aches and pains.

That's good as my mum had to have hers injected with a very big needle! Hopefully it continues to improve and the swelling reduces 🤞

newrider.com