My first 'bolting' experience!

Laura_107

Oct 15, 2010
Edinburgh
Ok, it wasn't a true bolt, just a 'f*ck you newbie, I'm off home' bolt!

I was riding a friends horse for the first time, he is lovely and very similar to Kev. Friend had told me to put the snaffle in for a walk/trot hack but go for the Pelham if we were doing anymore. We were just going out for a daunder so the snaffle went in! Mistake!

We had a lovely chilled hack, a couple of trots which turned into unasked for canters, but he was very polite & his canters were at trotting speed. He does have a very hard mouth, but came back to me eventually.

On the way home he picked up his pace, but K does exactly the same, so I wasn't too phased. He stopped when I asked him which is more than I can say for Kev! We stopped and crossed the wee road back to the yard nice and calmly....after that there is a short stretch of hardcore track with 2 right angled turns right then left into the yard. Well as soon as his feet hit the hardcore he did a teeny bunny hop and was off! There was no stopping him! We weren't quite at gallop due to the sharp turns, but we left our hacking companion in dust within seconds (while she was managing to keep her steed in a more steady canter.....we usually walk up the track, but a steady canter was all she could manage!). I had enough time to swear a lot (apparently!), think 'calm down, heels down, lean back and get his head on your knee', then 'oh this is really not good for his feet!', then 'sh*t, I really can't stop him, time to bail', then after I had taken my feet out the stirrups 'I don't have long till the yard, he will hopefully stop there' and 'oh crap this is a seriously tight turn coming up and I don't have stirrups!'. I am pleased to report I stayed on and he did stop at the yard! I yelled at him for being a little sh*t and then walked him back down to the road and calmly walked him back again.

I still love him and would get back on him tomorrow, though I would probably put his Pelham in!! He was just taking the piss and had a known him a bit better I would have been able to stop him before he got into full swing.

In a weird way I quite like it when things go wrong, it makes me realise I'm maybe a better rider than I think I am! I lived to tell the tale, so it was just a bit of excitement for the evening! Ha ha!

Haha, I did have a giggle at that! I know what you mean about things going wrong but managing to deal with them. Glad you stayed on:p

Wow, no stirrups, strange horse, taking off, and you coped. I'm in awe!! But I know what you mean, things going wrong and you coping is much better than nothing ever going wrong and you forever hoping it doesn't because you might not cope.

You coped - and very well at that! A massive well done. what an arse he was - I bet he was chuckling to himself all the way up the track!:D

Isn't it a marvelous feeling when your worst nightmare happens and you manage to somehow not only stay on, but surprise yourself with your aptitude! I felt the same when Dolly fell as stupid me tried to interfere with her chosen method of jumping over a small ditch at a fast canter, I felt great for days because I stayed on and carried on with the canter and I didn't actually expire with shock from the drama of it all!

Definitely try his pelham next time - bold boy he was!:p

Phew! You did well - and as others have said and you yourself feel better having lived to tell the tale. Its all experience - and I think you can use it and store it up for the times when you might be about to have a wibble. Draw upon it for confidence - cos you know you can cope when things get sticky.

Reactions: Cortrasna
newrider.com