My first bareback lesson...

CLAUDIA

May 10, 1999
West Virginia
I don't know about this bareback stuff! :eek:

Granted, it is much warmer when it's 29ºF outside, but I felt so incredibly strange on this horse with no saddle. It's almost like learning to ride all over again. At first, my instructor was on the horse with me, and I was surprised that I didn't have a death grip on her waist. That actually made me feel more confident that I could do it. I did mostly sitting trot and a few strides of canter here and there. I did manage to slide right off and plop onto the ground when the horse made a sudden movement, catching me off guard, but we were barely moving anyway. I think I enjoyed myself though, apart from my new Gumbi legs I had after I was through riding!

She wants me to ride bareback again tomorrow (Yes! I get to ride at least one more time before the holiday! :D), and hopefully I won't be falling off! This may even be good for my feet-like-the-wings-of-a-plane problem.

Happy Holidays!!! :p

[This message has been edited by CLAUDIA (edited 22 December 1999).]

Hello :)

When you're posting a message, there's a link off to the left side that says, "Smilies Legend". It tells you what to type in your messages to make them appear.

[This message has been edited by CLAUDIA (edited 22 December 1999).]

Dear Claudia: I love bareback riding! The warmth, the contact with the horse, how well you can feel the movement of the horse. I was apprehensive about sitting the trot but actually found it easier and more comfy. Didn't do any cantering yet. I was told not to grip with my legs. Is that standard advice for bareback riding? We did have a neck rope to hold on to.

I have been told that bareback riding is a great way to improve your riding. How did it go today?

Merry Christmas

Susan

I enjoyed my bareback lesson too, and I agree; sitting trot is more comfy without that saddle in the way! :p

Unfortunately, I didn't have a bareback lesson today. My instructor had to leave early, so I had a lesson with a different instructor, and she wanted to work on jumping, and also telling our horse to go from halt to canter. Interesting how they do that! One second they're standing there like nothing special is going on, then they feel like they have a load of energy ready to explode, then you actually ask for canter, and off you go! Sorry if I seem over-excited about the halt to canter thing, but I thought it was great that they're trained to do that! It seemed I could feel him scoot his back legs under him so that he could canter before I even asked him to canter. Is this what they do?

Merry Christmas everyone!!! :D

Yes Claudia, that's what they do! In a perfect world of course, lol !! But it sounds like you've had some pretty near perfect rides lately! Way to go girl !!

Happy Holidays,
HL2

Oh yeah, those halt to canter things rock! They're pretty easy too, and they're fun. Hmmm... about those smiles... lemme try...

:rolleyes: Oh it's cute! Sorry, I feel like a kid in a candy shop. :D ;)

Bareback riding is wonderful- that's how I ride my horses on the trails most of the time. As Claudia said, it is much warmer in the winter (not to mention if you get caught out in the rain) :eek:

I find that riding bareback can really help your position in the saddle, particularly the sitting trot. You kind of get a feel for the horse's motion, and that carries over into the saddle. For those of you who have not cantered bareback, it is actually easier to stay on bareback at a canter than it is at a trot, provided your horse does not shy at everything, as one of my horses invariably does :) (haven't fallen off yet though)

Susan- basically, you want to grip with your upper thighs, but not your calves. If you grip with your lower legs, obviously the horse is going to think you want a speed increase. Just don't grip too hard with your upper legs, or you'll shoot upwards like a rocket :rolleyes: The main thing is to keep your body relaxed, but your mind attentive to what the horse is doing.

Allie

newrider.com