Mum's first hack and first (slightly unplanned) trot!

Doeylicious

Oct 19, 2008
Surrey/South London borders
My mum has been having 'lessons' (as in learning how to go forward and stop and how to sit properly) for the past few weeks, and today wanted to go on her first little hack (with me holding the lead rope of course ;))

I am really really proud of how she got on, we had all manner of obstacles, rude driver on the private road trying to squish us, man cutting hedge with what sounded like a giant chainsaw, billions of horseflies :mad: and as such Doey was being a bit of a div attempting to jog and spin about, was quite glad I had a lead rope! But Mum kept really calm, when I said 'do you want to get off?' she said 'No WAY I am not getting off, she can just start behaving!' and Doey must have heard as she did start being good again :D

Nearly back at the yard and poor Doey was being bitten to shreds, there were so many flies, I was fed up with it and said 'hold on Mum!' and started jogging, so Doey trotted on! At first poor Mum went 'ARGH! STOP IT!' but then I told her to just relax her hips and she did a lovely sitting trot, she said afterwards she quite enjoyed it!

Here are some pictures of the day. I am so proud of my Mum, and my cheeky lil pony lol

DSCN2498.jpg

DSCN2497.jpg

DSCN2503.jpg

DSCN2504.jpg

there is no way my mum would get on a horse!! she can just about bring herself to groom the kids shetland!!!! well done to you both:D

Ha ha - we'll need to send our mums out on hacks together (although your mum looks about the same age as me - not my mum!)

Yay for sensible horses:eek::D (and doesnt it make you mad that they behave so well for them;))

Skippy's Mum, you send yours South I'll send mine North and they can navigate the Lake District, haha!

We are hoping to hack together when we go on holiday later this year - partly why she is learning now. Who knows, one day we might be able to buy a mother/daughter share...here's hoping :D

You'll need to be in the middle Old_ Woman - with a lead rope in either hand and your reins between your teeth (think John Wayne in True Grit:D)

Another pretty lady beginning her journey horseback. I love the "spirit" I see in these new riders photos. I really enjoyed this response.

she said 'No WAY I am not getting off, she can just start behaving!' and Doey must have heard as she did start being good again

Mums just have a way don't they.

Keep on, keepin on

Jack

newrider.com