Mullen mouth snaffles

Bebe

Aug 15, 2001
S.Yorkshire
Hi

Bebe currently goes in a french link half cheek snaffle and seemed okay in it (she's had it a few months) but lately I'm having problems with her resisting the contact and opening her mouth (she doesn't wear a noseband, I'd rather know when my hands are misbehaving!). I had the dentist out to her in October and he showed me where she has canine teeth (tushes?) growing in on the upper jaw. He mentioned that she may start to resist the bit and it would be worth trying her in a mullen mouth (straight bar) snaffle as horses with these teeth appear to prefer the straight bar over the jointed snaffles. Removing the teeth isn't an option apparently.

I've never used, or known anyone that has used, one of these bits before and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. Knowledge of their action in the mouth would be appreciated too.

I'm not one for switching bits willy nilly so don't want to buy a new one until I'm sure it will be the right thing for her.

Many thanks
Amanda

PS, if it wasn't for the dentists comments I'd muddle through with the half cheek but want to do what is best for Bebe.

hello!

I have a mullen mouth soft rubber snaffle for Tango. This is the snaffle that she goes best in, but she is still happier in a mullen mouth pelham.

The mullen mouth piece stops the nutcraker effect of the bit and therefore stops there being pressure on the roof on the mouth and can reduce pressure on the bars. Hopefully though you wouldn't be riding in a way that means you would be exerting a lot of pressure on the roof of her mouth or bars!

Ithink a mullen mouth is meant to be the softest type of snaffle - purely because there is no nutcracker effect. I have heard some purists argue that with a single bar in the mouth you cannot control the back legs independently, but I am no way a good enough rider to be doing that anyway (intentionally at least!).

Are Bebe's tushes only just coming through now (as in is she quite young?). Otherwise i would question if that is the reason that she has suddenly started to resist the contact.

I don't know if any of that was any use at all, but never mind!

bye!

Hi Amanda

I've often used an ordinary mullen mouth snaffle (both metal and soft rubber) for young and older horses, and the horses were quite happy in them.

The mullen mouth isn't quite the same as a straight bar snaffle - you don't tend to see as many straight bars around, except the breaking (key) bits, or stallion bits, I think. The mullen mouth puts less pressure on the tongue, and people say most horses seem to prefer them for that reason; you still get action on the bars and corners.

It's also said that you don't get the same independant rein action with a non-jointed bit (is that what they meant about controlling the back legs do you think, Sarah?) but then surely that would go for the good old Pelham too, so I can't see it's really an issue.

I don't think it would do any harm to try Bebe in one. I wonder if horses with tushes preferring these bits has anything to do with the amount of movement in the mouth? I imagine the jointed bits are much more flexible and therefore less predictable from the horse's point of view.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

Bebe is 8 and from what I could see when the dentist showed me the tushes are more than halfway through so could possibly be causing a problem. I'm going to see how we go with the french link for a while longer before making a decision as to changing the bit. I might see if I can loan one from somebody before buying one.

I think it will be the movement in the mouth that could cause problems on horses with tushes. If each side of the bit moves independently then the horse could get the tush banged on one side or both without much warning.

I've heard about straight bars & mullen mouth bits not being as good from controlling the hind legs. I can see why but we're supposed to do most of our riding with the seat and legs so can't see it posing that big a problem. Plus we're in the process of mastering cantering on the right leg so I doubt if controling the hind legs from each rein will be something we have to worry about in the near future!

Thanks!
Amanda

newrider.com