Moving Moment: Now with Pics!!

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
Some of you may remember me talking about the semi feral pony in our field whose owner has not been able to get near him in years and has given up trying and has basically abandoned him, but still pays for his grass livery and for haying the field in winter. He is seen by other liveries every day we can tell he is basically not lame or obviously ill or anything. I was advised by the forum to leave well alone, and I obeyed! But then the reactions on the cracked hoof thread got me thinking that there was a welfare issue here. No-one can get near enough to the pony to look at his feet which have not had any attention for years. Not to mention worming, possible rain scald etc.

So today I decided I was going to get near enough to the pony to see his feet and coat. I used the Mark Rashid approach described on the @Jane&Ziggy thread. Ie approach gently to get to the edge of his comfort zone then stay same distance away until he stops moving or looks at me etc then back right off. Basically so pony learns he can take the pressure off himself by looking at me. Ie rewarding trust and curiosity while making a fearful, avoidant reaction ineffective.

Within 10 minutes the pony had learnt to turn and face me when I approached rather than move away. A short while after that he took a step towards me and rather than move away, I sat down. He took another step towards me, then another one. I inched towards him still on my knees, and he blew into my hair. I had a good look at his feet which are awfully overgrown. His coat looks ok. I slowly stood up and moved away and left the field.

When I turned Cally out later this evening the pony was quite near the gate watching me. Normally he ignores all humans completely unless we get too near in which case he buggers off or threatens us with his hindquarters. I took off Cally's head collar and gave her a pat and then she moved away. I noticed the pony had stepped nearer me. I stepped back and the pony then walked right up to me. I held out my hands and he spent a few minutes licking them. I then stroked his nose which he tolerated. I then left the field. This pony needs some attention - to his feet apart from anything else. So I will talk to YO but I really think I needed to approach him and I feel so touched that he was willing to trust someone so quickly. Seems to me he WANTS to feel happier around people. for him to try so hard to be okay.

That is a lot of progress in a short time. If a horse really doesn't want to be near humans, he won't, so it actually does sounds as if he's just being neglected, the poor thing. I took my kids to a petting farm last week that offered pony rides and all the ponies' feet were awful! No shoes - not that that in itself is a problem - but really cracked and brittle and broken hooves. I'd be horrified if Roxy's ever looked like that.

Bless him. It is special when they finally see they can trust you and approach you. The yard where I ride was given a feral pony. He'd been gelded at some point in his life but was totally unapproachable. They managed to worm him just by putting wormer in a bucket of feed for him and he will follow you now but make a sudden movement and he runs.

Sounds like this pony is coming along really well. Good for you for helping him out. It's such a shame when owners lose interest in them.

Reactions: Trewsers and KP nut
That is an excellent description of what Mark did - and am so glad it worked for you.
Squids in -It doesnt necessarilly mean the pony doesnt have problems - these psychological solutions are often very quick, if properly applied as in this case and by someone who has seen Rashid work and reproduces it well - but it doesnt mean the pony will come to any person who is trying to catch them with other techniques as most attempts to catch put pressure on the horse rather than removing it.
I hope you can get his feet seen to KP.

Reactions: KP nut
Oh bless him, thats taken a lot of faith from him, its a lot of progress in one day and you must be so pleased, its definately something you could build on if you needed/wanted to. Our little rescue was semi feral and when we got her came direct to us and her belly was caked in horse muck, her headcollar had grown into her nose too, it took a while but she's now like a dog for me but still really dislikes the farrier and looks for constant reassurence, but I'm very proud of her she's come a very long way, and is now a lead rein pony. x

Thanks for kind comments. My understanding is that many people have tried and failed to get near the pony including the owner. He moves field just by being herded with the other horses but he won't be caught even when all the other horses are taken out and he is left alone.

Owner hasn't really abandoned him - she's just given up! It's very sad. I will speak to the YO about his feet but it may take some time before he is willing to be haltered, led etc. Let alone have his feet worked on. But I'll try and get permission to try.....

Well YOs reaction when I asked if I could do some work with the pony to get him used to basic handling etc was 'Oh God yes, please do!'. She will speak to owners tonight but is certain they would be very happy for someone to help out. I fetched Zak in this morning for a Zak-Hack and just walked near the pony. He looked at me and I walked away towards Zak. Later I went back in the field and got to the edge of his comfort zone again which was smaller than yesterdays. He looked at me and I stepped back and he walked towards me. I moved back again and he came right up to me and I spent quite a while stroking/scratching him. He let me run my hands along his neck, scratch behind his ears, and stroke his withers and nose. He's wearing a loose head-collar so I put my hand on the buckle and he moved his head away so I kept my hand there till he turned his head back then I let go. Did that a few times till he was fine with me taking hold of the head collar though I made no effort to put any pressure through the head collar.

Looking forward to getting a brush to him. His mane is all matted.

I'll get the girls to help me. They would find it interesting I think!

newrider.com