Moving day tomorrow. Anxious!

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
So tomorrow is moving day for me and sox. While I was really positive and looking forward to it. Now I am quite anxious about it. Sox can be a bugger to load and due to reasons beyond my control he is having to be in a pen for the first two weeks of the new place ( as my horse is an idiot!) So that's worrying me.

Also he will be on his own as well which... well I prefer him with company as I know he prefers it. There is the chance for me to possibly put sox in with another little pony though

I guess I am just anxious about the moving and really hoping he will settle. Had quite a lot of stress and problems with both sox ( nothing new there, sadly) and in my personal life which really aren't helping.

Anyone got any tips? Advice?

I am hoping to get up there early to put a pen up ( slightly bigger then stable size) tomorrow before we move so he can go straight into it as the horses have been living out for the last 6 weeks or so. Still doesn't stop me worrying.

Also I haven't found anyone who can move my stable mats yet which isn't helping my friend who normally does doesn't have his work van this weekend either :(

Difficult, but definitely try and focus on keeping yourself calm as sox will pick up on your nerves. Also remain very positive - no matter what arsing about he does, know and have faith that eventually you will get him loaded. As for the pen, you need a treat ball and lots of love attention and prey for a quick passing in time.

Can't you move the mats in the trailer or lorry with Sox?
It's just getting them in the lorry as it's the transporter... and I wasn't going to roll them around the yard ;)

Difficult, but definitely try and focus on keeping yourself calm as sox will pick up on your nerves. Also remain very positive - no matter what arsing about he does, know and have faith that eventually you will get him loaded. As for the pen, you need a treat ball and lots of love attention and prey for a quick passing in time.

Considering how well he coped on 4 months of pen I think he can do 2 weeks. Hopefully!

When I moved my stable mats I just rolled them up giving a 4' wide roll. They were tied up with 3 bits of bailer twine and I could then get 3 in the car at once. Provided you have two people they are also reasonably easy to carry (I managed on my own).

Reactions: lauren123
What's already been said really. They do pick up on anxiety and I had to do my best acting when moving ours here. It was good having horse transporters involved, we only really had to unload and it was good to have extra hands if needed. Have you a friend to help you ?
Lots of luck - I am sure gorgeous Sox will be just fine with you there at the other end. Relax and make lots of soothing scratches and snuggles part of his first day there. Do you have a quick working calmer to take the edge off him before turnout if need be? I had a tube of sedolin and remember giving Storm a small dose when we first landed, it helped a lot. Just a thought.

Hello!
Well I certainly had no reason to be anxious! Was up early to pop his pen up and off to the yard.to get everything ready I was early!! Which isn't like me at all. Sox.. well he thought about the box for 5 mins if that before walking straight on :D

Got to the new yard there was another livery there and she was commented how big he was. I was going to put him in his pen but the other girl suggested I put sox in a small pen they have used when her lami pony needs starving. YO agreed so we went in there:D . I had shoot off:( so the girl put some water in for him.

Sadly he hasn't left the fence where he has cribbed and apparently did have a bit of a buck/jump in the air. Which is good but he is still on bute. So I retired at half 3 today to find that he had cut the inside if his leg near his fetlock!:mad: So had to clean that:rolleyes:

Anyhow I left him cribbing with his hay and rugged up a little. Hopefully his cribbing will reduce slightly when he is more settled. But people did also comment how chilled he was before he went in the pen. Good day I would say:p:D

Reactions: newforest
newrider.com