Mounting block/steps

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I used to have a mounting block/log outside my gate but it encouraged people to come into my driveway to hang out as I had so thoughtfully provided them with a seat (particularly good for drunks who struggled to make it home without stopping off), but not a bin so they left a lot of rubbish :mad: so I moved it back inside, and with Jess it was easy to park her on the flat of the driveway and clamber up on the little bank at the side and leap :D, but I'm going to need something better for Niko and I want to start getting him used to standing next to things and having me up above him.

So I either need something really light and easy to bring in and out regularly, or something not desirable/difficult to pinch or fixed down, no use as a seat, tall enough that I don 't have to clamber on board (I'm 5'4" and expecting him to reach at least 15.2), and I'd prefer if it's not brightly coloured so it doesn't grab anyone's attention. Any ideas welcome, extra brownie points if you have a picture/example, as always I'm happy to build something :)

I've been thinking I could square the bank off with retaining boards at the front, or perhaps put in 3 staggered posts 5-6" diameter to step up on or something else.....

I have had these for 4 years and have to say i love them! Be sure to get off eBay or a builders merchant type shop though if anyone purchases as the very same thing on an equestrian website was twice the price.

Reactions: Jessey
I used to use a decorating step when I had my lorry and needed to mount at shows. It folded down flat and was easy to carry. It was about 50cm high. I got it from B&Q for £20. Will post a link later.

This is it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201006-110444_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201006-110444_Gallery.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 4

I have had these for 4 years and have to say i love them! Be sure to get off eBay or a builders merchant type shop though if anyone purchases as the very same thing on an equestrian website was twice the price.
i have the curver one which was fine to get onto Rose at 15hh but a bit low for buddy. I got a taller metal one which folds, can't remember the make but got it off ebay it brings my foot level with the stirrup. It isn't quite as stable as the other one but it is ok just to hop on.

I really need something very stable for getting on a baby the first time, that preferably puts my foot level with the stirrup as you say

I now have a log that I sort of roll out and up end. You wouldn't really be able to pinch it. Bit heavy/ why would you when wet. :)

You could use a few pallets and cover with non slip top.

@Huggy that looks the same as mine just in a different finish, and I find it brilliant. Mine must be about 14 years old now and while I do try to remember to bring it in for prolonged bad weather I'd be lying if I said I always did, but it's still going strong.

Reactions: Huggy
This is the options I have in her field.
Doubles up as a good place to put your saddle first and lunch on return.
DSC_3117~2.JPG

My other "block" it would be better if it was square. Too heavy to move so nobody will take it. I can stand on it without it moving which surprised me!
DSC_3121~2.JPG

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
I have one of those little steps, it’s def not big or sturdy enough for what I want. I do still have my big log, just don’t want to put it out to be used as a seat but at least it never got pinched.

You could always put some fencing staples in the top of the log as a safety grip for standing on. It wouldnt be that comfy for sitting on for too long. Ive seen them hammered in as foot treads on stiles.

My logs been getting slippery recently as its exposed to the rain and im thinking of adding some staples in on my logs. But mines in my yard all to myself.

Oh I see what you are after.

At the top of one of the fields round here is a block made out of an enormous tree stump. It's been cut off horizontally at an appropriate height and steps cut into the side. If you had a really big log of wood you could do the same, but people would still sit on it!

Putting something non slip on the one you have would stop people sitting on it.
Mine is kicked into the hedge.
Funnily enough here I see more cars than people.

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com