Mountain Horse High Rider Boots

acw295

May 21, 2006
twitter.com
Just got some of these, late Christmas present to myself :D. I have to confess that my much cheaper jodh boots never get cleaned or cared for. But as I spent far too much money on these I do want to take care of them.

Anyone got any tips of how to clean, and how to re-proof?

Thanks

I wash mine with soapy water and let dry naturally with newspaper stuff down then then slather them in dubbin.

By the way, does the soles on one of your boots squeak? One of mine does and so do a couple of my friends ones. I also have the rimfrost as they are so warm for the winter - they don't squeak at all and are much easier to care for as you just hose them off.

Mountain Horse do bottles of boot cleaner and a reproofer which I use, although I suppose any make of leather boot cleaning foam and reproofer will do the job.

Buy some plasters - I have some Sportive boots that I treated myself to recently because I needed new everyday boots, wore them for the third time a couple of days ago and they have destroyed my feet. They chose to do this halfway through a longrein lesson when my horse who is usually mr speedy decided to back off and I had to chase him. Peeled boots off (they are still lying where I flung them on the floor!) and I have NINE blisters, 3 cuts, and swollen, red, bleeding feet.
Ive been told it gets better (I was warned they would do this!) but when they drop as they start to crease at the ankle they rub like mad - I suggest coating the back of your ankles and ankle bones in plasters. Unless you want to end up hobbling like me!
It's a little aside but I thought you might like to know ;). I thought I was breaking them in but in reality they were breaking me in!

xxx

I clean mine with good old-fashioned Black Dubbin!
It keeps them waterproof, and matches the dull shine on the original boot.
Dont use too much though or it gets sticky! You need a boot brush specially for the Dubbin, rub it well in then polish off with a clean brush.

Thanks all -I'll look for Dubbin then as that is popular with you!

So far they are really comfy, have worn them 3 times now. Very different to ride in to my jod boots and chaps - so much wider in the toes, did feel very alien to begin with but I'm getting the hang now, I still feel a bit clumsy in them though. My feet feel much more secure in the stirrup - and am hoping they will help my heels stay down. Didn't get yelled at for heels in last lesson :D

No squeaking to report yet!

newrider.com