More Jack pics...

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
With Albi and Treacle, who is my tenant....

DSC03732.jpg

Last summer, without the winter woolies...

2-1.jpg

And taken Monday when we went to view him...

2.jpg

He's been at a riding school and I get the feeling he's a bit "Meh" about everything at the mo so he's having some down-time to chill, get to know me and not be asked to do anything for a few weeks whilst we get through the rest of winter/early spring. Coupled with stuffing him with haylage, hopefully when the spring grass hits, his ribs and spine will disappear and he'll start to smile.

Aww he really is lovely, just my sort of horse. :inlove:

I hope his down time agrees with him and he's fine when asked to work again.

My Joy was an ex-RS pony and I did the same thing with her and just let her be with her new herd for a bit. She has that ambition, minus the ability, to move up in a herd so she was more challenging when I came to ask more of her again. Mind you, she's that sort and you can tell. Hope your's is more laid back and chilled than Joy. You know what you're doing and are far more experienced than I but just in case someone else is reading this and in the same situation I thought it worth a mention :redface:

You know what you're doing and are far more experienced than I .....
Ha! I don't know where you got THAT impression from... I doubt that very much! lol :eek: But thanks for the tip-off :) xxx

ETA: I've just seen pics of your Joy... no wonder you have a soft spot for Jack!! lol Joy is deffo prettier though....

Last edited:
Ha! I don't know where you got THAT impression from... I doubt that very much! lol :eek: But thanks for the tip-off :) xxx

ETA: I've just seen pics of your Joy... no wonder you have a soft spot for Jack!! lol Joy is deffo prettier though....

Yeah there's more than a passing resemblance :tongue:

I'm really looking forward to reading your updates as I suspect your boy will have the temprement that Joy lacks! Any pics you want to post will be very much appreciated by me. :biggrin:

He really is lovely Domane - and very, very lucky to have found you. I think he has the makings of a first class riding cob - dont think you will regret getting him for one moment!:biggrin:

He looks very sweet,and will hopefully be a good friend for you.

Can I just say,and please feel free to ignore if think I am an interfering old witch lol,but I have had a pure bred clyde,and they are actually quite good doers,so just be a little bit careful about letting him stuff his face too much on haylage and spring grass.
I am guessing the reason he is poor might be more to do with lack of turnout and limited access to decent grass,as he has been in a riding school,rather than his type and being a poor doer if that makes any sense??

Of course I could be completey wrong and he might be more TB or something similar (not sure what he's crossed with??) than clyde,and be a nightmare to keep weight on,if so please feel free to ignore:redface:

Anyway I will shut up now except to wish you well with him:happy:

Agree with devonlass regarding feeding! Once they have too much weight on it's such a difficult thing getting it off them!

But I must admit I am LOVING the look of him! I'm starting to get such a soft spot for hairy bay cobs!

Yes no worries... I will keep an eye on him, Cherry used to inhale calories from the air I think so I've had a VERY good doer before!! :D

I'm also prepared for a possible change of personality if/when he gains weight.... I know what a difference it made to Roo getting his goddawful hooves sorted and whilst I think he hated me for making go barefoot for a year, as his feet conditioned and his trimmer worked her magic, watching him blossom as he gradually got more and more comfortable for the first time in a long time was pure unadulterated pleasure :)

newrider.com