Molly's diagnosis

bexj

May 8, 2002
Penistone
www.mollycob.blogspot.com
Moo has been to the horsepital for the last two days for investigations into her lameness. The good news is that she doesn't have arthritis.

The bad news is that she has got a small fracture in her cannon bone (I think) where the suspensory ligament joins to the bone. So, she is on box rest for 6 weeks, with shockwave therapy once a week for 4 weeks. Then she will go back to the horsepital for a re-scan to see if there is any improvement. If so, then a very long and gentle programme back to work.

So, I'm glad I know what is wrong with her, and I'm glad it is treatable. A lady at the yard will have her horse pts tomorrow, so putting it in perspective.

In the meantime, I think I am going to look into lessons at a riding school and start working towards my Stage 2 exam.

Frustrating that this is happening in the last few weeks of summer, but I am trying to look on the positive side.

Sarah - no idea how it happened, can just be gidding about in the field, or more likely when she was having one of her "boing" moments out on a hack.

eml - she has had 2 weeks rest before and coped very well. She isn't a stressy horse thankfully, and as long as she has food to hand, and plenty to look at, she is generally ok.

Thank you for all your good wishes xx

Poor Moo, hopefully the shockwave will work. It does seem to produce some good results.

You'll be amazed how fast the time will fly. Tavia lamed herself in the field April 12th, had the lameness work-up end of May, operation 6th June, did her first competition yesterday. I hardly seemed to have stopped to breathe, but it is almost 5 months since she 'broke'.

newrider.com