Mites on heavy feathered horses!

clareob

Jul 12, 2009
hey i own a heavy weight cob gelding who suffers with mites all year round!!! i have had his legs trimmed for the past 2 years now so he has no feathers but still scratches!! any tips???
and im new to this and dont know how to uploads photos?? any help with that aswell!!!
THANK YOU !! :):):)

get the injection.. it will keep your horses legs clear of mites for a year, and after the first 2 years, mine, who are kept on own land so no incomers, have never had another infestation. the injection is relatively cheap too.

My Shire cross pony has had 2 Dectomax injections and they haven't worked on him, although I know that many horses respond well.

I've been using Neem shampoo on a daily basis as the mites will cause skin problems. I've found this to be effective.

You could also try Tea Tree shampoo.

I've also doused the shavings in the field shelter with the Gold lice and insect powder.

mine has had the injections with success. I also keep in Carr, Day and Martin lice and mite shampoo and equimins mite spray. The mite spray has proven to be very effective, so much so my cob didn't need the injections this year.

mine has had the injections with success. I also keep in Carr, Day and Martin lice and mite shampoo and equimins mite spray. The mite spray has proven to be very effective, so much so my cob didn't need the injections this year.

Are these products available in tack shops or is there a website that I can buy them from - they sound like a good investment.

Ask your vet for some Deosect. It comes in a little can. You have to mix it with water to dilute it and then spray it on the legs.
It sorted Monty's mites in one go.

It sounds expensive when you buy it - my little can cost £36! - but because you dilute it it lasts forever and is very economical. You can also use it as fly spray.

Thanks for all your advice everything will be tried as i show him and dont want bites and cuts all up his legs. The vet also said to me use frontline spray(which is also used on cats and dogs) but that did not help but it may just be my horse :)

Ask your vet for some Deosect. It comes in a little can. You have to mix it with water to dilute it and then spray it on the legs.
It sorted Monty's mites in one go.

It sounds expensive when you buy it - my little can cost £36! - but because you dilute it it lasts forever and is very economical. You can also use it as fly spray.

I bought Deosect but i paid less than that. Great stuff & lasts forever.

Frontline has worked wonders for my gypsy cob.
I had tried everything, injections, mite lotions etc and nothing worked but Frontline seems to be keeping on top of it xx

I use Deosect too - good for feather mites and to stop the midges in sweetitch. You can buy it over the counter in Scats, cheaper than from the vet.

newrider.com