Mini cob. How will she mature?

Rosiewells86

Jun 13, 2020
Hi all. I have a mini cob who is just 5 and currently 12.3 .she very narrow at the front and quite a bit chunkier behind. I know they say cobs mature till they are 7/8 but she seems quite fine and has a tiny little head. Also been reading recently about coloureds loosing they dark patches and my newest obsession is I am sure she is going grey. She's a scruffy gangly thing but we love her a lot. So interested for anyone's opinion on how she may develop. First two pics show how slight she is at the shoulders and last pic to show her colouring and if she's greying.

Attachments

• IMG_20200611_220643.jpg
    IMG_20200611_220643.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20200606_174523.jpg
    IMG_20200606_174523.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20200601_162020_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20200601_162020_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 36
She's doesn't look five, who has aged her at this?

Yes she probably will grey out with the coat changes and age. You will still see the black skin patches when she has a bath or maybe in summer.

She does look immature for 5, but what a lovely pony. I'm sure she'll broaden as she matures, little trads can be very slight and then double in width seemingly overnight as they mature. She's got such a pretty head she's going to be a stunner.

I'm not sure about her greying out looking at those pics. I think greying starts on the head and she looks dark to me but it's hard to see properly. The colourds on our yard have white hairs in the black patches on their body so that's not unusual.

She's lovely :)

Reactions: Huggy
She does look immature for 5, but what a lovely pony. I'm sure she'll broaden as she matures, little trads can be very slight and then double in width seemingly overnight as they mature. She's got such a pretty head she's going to be a stunner.

I'm not sure about her greying out looking at those pics. I think greying starts on the head and she looks dark to me but it's hard to see properly. The colourds on our yard have white hairs in the black patches on their body so that's not unusual.

She's lovely :)
Thank you. I find her colour fascinating she's getting lighter behing but her head is still very dark all her dark patched have a grey outline.
Vet aged her when she did passport at her last home and said around 4 {I've had her a year now} and then dentist agreed but I do think she looks a lot younger and less developed than the 5 year old exmoor at our yard although I know all breeds develop differntly.interesrsd to hear everyone's thoughts.

I guess it will depend on her breeding. Coloured cobs to my knowledge dont grey out. They may have whites hairs in there patches. But if she has grey breeding and has grey in the genes then i guess she might.

Reactions: Rosiewells86
Mine always looked very young as she's got a pony head and the narrow front, which didn't change. Everything else filled trust me.
I am impressed with the feathers, mine was slow to grow these.

Reactions: Rosiewells86
I don’t think her head looks tiny, in fact it seems to fit the rest of her perfectly, she’s a sweet looking girl regardless of her size, the Haffy is pretty too but then I’m a little bit biased where Haflingers are concerned :rolleyes:

Come to think of it, Hogan's black, but lots of little grey hairs in his black.

Thank you. I find her colour fascinating she's getting lighter behing but her head is still very dark all her dark patched have a grey outline.
Vet aged her when she did passport at her last home and said around 4 {I've had her a year now} and then dentist agreed but I do think she looks a lot younger and less developed than the 5 year old exmoor at our yard although I know all breeds develop differntly.interesrsd to hear everyone's thoughts.
Hi, i love and had exmoor ponies. just would love to see some photos of the one at your yard if thats ok?

She is like a very miniaturised version of my Sid, who's about 15hh and heavy:

tempImagekLc1od.png

Here's Sid with the little gypsy cob filly he lived with for a few months, she was 12hh on the button and fine:

tempImage0HQ9sA.png

Her head is tiny compared to his, and I think your little mare's head is just right, pretty and sweet as the breed description suggests.

Sid's black patches look very well defined, but close up they all have a roan edge, too.

Your mare looks adorable, and if she's not as wide as she might be that's make it easier for little legs to wrap round her. When kids sit on Sid they look as if they are trying to do the splits!

newrider.com