Me & Petri had quite a nasty fall :(

WeeBarraxO

May 20, 2008
Glasgow
last week me and my friend headed out a hack Petri now has a treeless and is so much happier being ridden, anyway .. we were out and that was great, were having a really nice chilled relaxed hack ..

we found a nice stretch of grass to canter along .. so off we went and everything was going really nicely .. a nice relaxed canter along ... next thing I know is PEtri is going down .. then next thing I remember is lying on my back unable to move looking to my side and seeing PEtri still down ..

Petri had slipped, skidded then flipped right over and I had flew a good few feet .. but she did get up and started grazing .... little madame .. while I am lying on my back unable to move .. I could move my legs but that was it,

but I have to say I was VERY lucky .. just as I fell an ex navy advanced first aider was walking by .. who came over and stayed with me till the ambulance came he held my head still, I couldn't move it anyway, so ambulance came and I was taken to hospital ... WHO NEVER EVEN KNEW I FELL OFF A HORSE ... they asked where was sore and I pointed to my right side collar bone .. and they said "oh that will be from the seatbelt" .. my my if I had a seat belt on PEtri I would have been crushed ... what the ?

anyway .. eventually get seen in this shambles of a hospital .. they xrayed ... my LEFT side .. then the doctor came and MOANED AT ME .. saying "i though it was your right side that was sore .. you have had your left side xrayed" .. I said yes my right side is agone and left side is a little swollen .. to then be told well there is no breaks on the xrays so you can go home ...

and here I am over a week later STILL in agony .. but I soldier on .. have ridden Menna twice this week as she is very light on the hands usually so doesn't pull on my shoulders .. but I am riding PEtri today .. and I am a little nervous .. :(, she has been fine after the fall, her loaner had her out at the weekend and said she was fab, yet I am still nervous about getting on her ? even though I know fine well she done NOTHING wrong at all :frown:

I also have a trapped nerve in my lower back that has made the outside of my right thigh numb to the touch .. and when I lie down to sleep it burns .. feels like someone is scalding it ..

lets home I am better ASAP

was out a hack yesterday to where I fell off and my skid marks are still there ..

skidddd_zps4770b1b7.jpg

Thats unfortunate, looks like she just tripped or slipped.

I would be inclined to take it easy until your back is better.

The hospital and ambulance staff sound pretty useless, maybe go to a pyhsio and see what they say?

Thats unfortunate, looks like she just tripped or slipped.

I would be inclined to take it easy until your back is better.

The hospital and ambulance staff sound pretty useless, maybe go to a pyhsio and see what they say?

yeah I'm not 100% sure on what happened I just remember her going down and my friend said she turned round and Petri was tumbling over and landed very close to where I landed so I am very lucky

Ow, poor you! Glad Petri is ok, even if you aren't! As others have said, do take it easy until you're feeling better. You're probably itching to get back on Petri so you can prove to your subconsience that you're not scared, but just don't overdo it. Hope you feel better soon x

I'm so glad this wasn't any worse than it was Maria and that you are back riding again already.

When I had my bad fall and Victory rolled on me it took me a good 6 weeks on crutches before I could even consider getting back on. Again I was lucky it wasn't any worse. Having a 16hh horse roll on you is not good.

Thankfully we both came out pretty well.

Take it easy though won't you xx

bl**y hell maria :( so glad you're ok and nothing worse happened to you *hugs* this is pretty much my worse nightmare, falling/slipping over with the horse on the flat/when you really wouldn't expect it!

Good grief, there must be something in the air. I am so glad that you aren't more badly hurt.

At least there were no bones broken. Sorry your ambulance crew were rubbish. All the good ones must have been down South looking after me!

And I am glad that Petri didn't hurt herself, either. Gosh, what a close shave.

Glad you are both ok ( ish!)

Whats the chances of "ex navy advanced first aider was walking by" happening !!! blimey ! your luck was in ( kinda!) x

thanks so much for all your replies guys :),

well I did get back on Petri, and took her a short solo hack which I had to end early as she was a little .. let say .. full of beans ? .. and bucked while yanking the reins out of my hands (she has a diff bit atm which I am testing out, which turns out has very little breaks ..) which re started the pain in my shoulders and collar bone :frown:, so not ridden since then and back on my pain killers .. I was then even more stupid and hopped on bareback .. forgetting I can't swing off .. swung off and twisted my upper back ... I really should just be locked in a padded room .. covered in bubble wrap ..

I am at my physio on wed for my ankles/knees/hips so will ask her to give my shoulders a look and prod see if any damage is done, .... only me eh ..

newrider.com