Market harborough???

Sorry if I sounded a bit one sided. I did do a thread once because my old horse was very strong, but it turns out its just a tempory fix.

I will try and find the thread.

http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125530

some of it is unrelavent but it gets to the point however in that situation it wasn't suitable for what I needed

Last edited by a moderator:
They would probably work well on the right horse.
I suppose its like side reins some people like using them some people don't! :)

I used one on a pony who we were bringing back into work who threw her head in the air to avoid a contact and go faster.

I didn't have it fastened up so tight that it was 'holding the head down' it was loose until she tried to throw her head in the air.

It was recommended to me to use a standing martingale for a bit but I tried the market harborough and found it very useful after wearing it for a little time the pony stopped throwing her head up.

Worked for us.

I have one for Tango and it works really well, she gets so ancy and puts her head up, smaks me in the face and then it all goes **** up, it works really well for her as she works it, and she has realised that she puts her head down and the pressure is released, now Im weaning her off it and going back in a running martingale and it has worked magic,

Sorry to hijack but does anyone know the pony club rules for wearing them, I know for BSJA seniors it ok but have PC areas coming up and would kinda need it and would die with out it LOl!

i have used one on my youngster as he loves doing the head throwing thing when he gets a bit bored and on the loosest setting this stops him making contact with my face. similar to a standing martingale really.

I have used one but I prefer the harbridge as it only stops them getting their heads as high but they can put their heads as low as they like.

I used one on Kia to help him balance himself after his accident as he went everywhere with his head in the air and was shhoting forward and avoiding contact totally.

The market harborough did work tho. With the right horse and the right use they will help.

Nikki xxxx

i usedto have one for my horse he loved to hold his head high and he reared (no back problems just anxious) i used a harbrough on him for about a year when hacking as i had more control whilst building his confidence. It is just like a martingale and it all depends on how you light you are with your hands, when the head is down you should be relaxed as a reward. But i would recomend just make sure you get one that fits otherwise it does nothing lol xx

newrider.com