Mare is not peeing in her stable

Lyo1327

Mar 15, 2023
Hi all,

I was wondering if you guys could help at all.

I’ve had my mare for 5 years now, I’ve always had her on part livery. I’ve recently moved to a DIY yard. She’s settled in really well, even after the first few days she was laying down in her stable.

The only thing that I am concerned about at the moment is when it comes to be doing her business in her stable. She’s always been a very neat and tidy mare, usually always the same pattern when it comes to mucking out. She’s eating, drink normally as well. I have been keeping an eye on both. She loves her food, so that would be the first indicator something is majorly off.

She’s pooing her usual amount. However, she isn’t weeing in her stable at all. Again there is usually is a pattern. In the two weeks she’s been there she’s only done a bit of peeing. Now difference between her last stable and this one she’s going out earlier and coming back in later, I don’t know whether or she’s peeing outside. As I can’t stay there and look all day.

Im going to put some more bedding in her stable tomorrow to make it more deep, just see if she does.

Also in her previous livery there was a couple of times when it got really cold eg snowing. Where she didn’t wee. But that was only for a day.

Does anybody have any advice on why she isn’t doing it?

Chances are she’s peeing in the field or you would see her in a lot of pain after 2 weeks of not passing anything while continuing to drink normally. I wouldn’t be too concerned as long as everything else continues to be normal. Trying more bedding is a good idea but as she’s going out earlier and coming in later she’s probably just saving it for outside.

As Jessey says - I've been trying to catch my gelding peeing for a month now - nothing - I swear he deliberately waits until I'm gone!

As Jessey says - I've been trying to catch my gelding peeing for a month now - nothing - I swear he deliberately waits until I'm gone!
That’s good to know, I was worried she was always did a pattern when it comes do doing her business. So, I just got a bit worried about it 😂😂

Reactions: Huggy
I would try not to worry too much, I knew a pony who flatly refused to pee in his stable, never ever did he do so much as a dribble.
It could simply be that because she is spending more time outside she just doesn’t need to pee while she’s in.

Reactions: Lyo1327
newrider.com