Mane pulling help and advice please!!!

BonBon85

Dec 17, 2012
Hello all:) have only ever pulled my girls mane with one of those solo/razor combs as she is beyond sensitive and gets very sore/twitchy- so I've used the above method which seemed ok, until I attempted to plait her up for a show back in June and, Oh dear lord!!,underside of her mane looked like a hedgehog:((( just horrendous!! Broken bits, jagged bits all along her neck:/!!So the only way I can do it now Is to pull her mane the traditional way!! But I need a very basic run down of how I do it properly so i can make sure im doing it in exactly the right way and also any hints that may make it a little more bareable for her??!!!!
Thank you lovely people:))

If she's sensitive do it a few hairs at a time over the space of a week, It will look odd for a while but who cares.

I start at the top, and comb out the mane decide how long I want it, take a few long hairs, back come the short ones out the way and with a plaster on my fingers so I get a good grip quickly rip out the hairs. Comb it down again , grab the long hair, back comb the short ones out the way and repeat.

Oh I don't care about it looking odd! I spend most of my life looking off anyway so I'm sure she won't mind for a bit either;)!! Ok thank you ill try the plaster and a few at a time- that's good to know as that Is how I would have done it but you doubt yourself if you've never been shown/told properly!! Thank you for your help its really appreciated:) x

Just another bit of advice: exercise her before you do it! If you can make it a hard session so she is hot and a little sweaty as I find the hairs come out better and it is a bit kinder on them as their pores are open.:wink:

I have heard too clove oil rubbed in to the bit you are working on a few minutes before numbs the skin. Never tried it, don;t know what kind of mess it would leave the mane in, or whether there is a risk of a skin reaction.

Thanks rubic- that make sense:))) wally- ill google it and see if I can find anymore on it, maybe ill do a skin patch test on her before?? I do love clove oil esp for toothache/ dry sockets after dentist, so the numbing property makes sense:))
EML- now that is an interesting idea!! One of my bridesmaids and good friends has a hairdressing salon of her own!! She may just be getting a call!! Haha!! Can just imagine her face as she's completely non horsey, she thinks I'm bonkers as it is!! Xx

Thanks rubic- that make sense:))) wally- ill google it and see if I can find anymore on it, maybe ill do a skin patch test on her before?? I do love clove oil esp for toothache/ dry sockets after dentist, so the numbing property makes sense:))
EML- now that is an interesting idea!! One of my bridesmaids and good friends has a hairdressing salon of her own!! She may just be getting a call!! Haha!! Can just imagine her face as she's completely non horsey, she thinks I'm bonkers as it is!! Xx

Remember the Sox Dancing pony on the adverts. It took days of intensive human hairdresser time to put his mane extensions in and dye them the right colour!.....why they didn;t get a hairier pony is beyond me!

I do remember him well:) and I love the idea of hairdressers and makeup artists fussing and preening him like a celeb;)!! But it does beg the question why they didn't just get a hairier one in the first place!! Maybe his face fitted and the rest could be 'enhanced' at whatever cost ?!!;) Imagine their faces tho when they found out who their 'client' was!!! Priceless:) x

I do remember him well:) and I love the idea of hairdressers and makeup artists fussing and preening him like a celeb;)!! But it does beg the question why they didn't just get a hairier one in the first place!! Maybe his face fitted and the rest could be 'enhanced' at whatever cost ?!!;) Imagine their faces tho when they found out who their 'client' was!!! Priceless:) x

newrider.com