Mane donation

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Billys mane has grown mega long. Hes getting quite hot and its getting tangled under his fly sheet. Im contemplating hogging him like i did two years ago then letting it grow again. It seems a shame to just cut it off and bin it. Im sure i read it can be donated for wigs, but i cant find anywhere, or instructions on any criteria.

Any ideas.

That's a lovely idea, but I don't believe that horse hair could be used in wigs for humans. The hair is just too coarse.

Apart from jewellery and textiles, you could always try to find a luthier who would like to use it for bows. Assuming it is really long.

It used to be used to make bed mattresses years ago. They are solid and weighted a tonne. My man had one and swore by it.
Horse clipping i know can be used in house building. Is it mud huts or lime plastering. Not sure whether it applies to mane. I suppose it could always be chopped it up into little bits.
Not sure how long it needs to be for bows. But billys mane is almost at his knees.
I just thought it would be nice to donate for wigs. You might be right, it might be to coarse. I'm sure i saw it on a TV programme about it being donated. Thought you NR fountain of knowledge peeps would know.
I'll keep looking. I think there are some local jewellery makers so i could offer there.

My friend recently tried to get his cart seat reflocked, traditionally it’s done with horse hair but at £600 for the 10kg he would need he went for a modern option!

• Wow
Reactions: carthorse
newrider.com