Making Your Own Hi Viz.... for a Plus Sized Model

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
Vet orders are walking out every day so we need some more hi viz now the clocks are changing. Unfortunately with the size of Flipo as he is, I had already had my mum alter my leg wraps - removing the Velcro and reattaching with an extra bit of material to fit round11+ inches of bone last year.

This time when I went looking for some new stuff I knew it wouldn't fit so decided to make my own....correction, I decided to beg my mum to make some for me.
So - materials from eBay -
fluorescent material, reflective sew on tape, Velcro, and a bit of black material, pair of laces, total cost around £10.
9df92f77.jpg

Diagram explanations used during he consultation period between architect and skivvy (lol)
6f5fc2a6.jpg

Bridle covers
5e3dbd1e.jpg

Tail wrap
4f5dd410.jpg

Sash to attach to saddle
9304656c.jpg

The model himself
c8e8dbc8.jpg

a03cf27a.jpg

dce620f9.jpg

Still have left over material as in the top picture - what else can I make?!

Last edited:
Thats fantastic! Well done! :biggrin:

Mr Flip is looking great too! :inlove:

Maybe you should start a little hi viz making business for your fellow NR friends? :wink:

I want one of those execise sheets. I was looking at one that has a tail flap with reflective tape across the back of it. Doesnt look like you've got enough material for one of those. Like the breast strap better than some I've looked at on the net.

FM you have surpassed yourself!! This looks brilliant (literally!) and Flipo looks really good.... not sure anyone would miss him anyway but I'm all for hi-viz gear at all times :happy:

There must be a Fairy Liquid bottle in that photo somewhere..... :giggle:

Nice one! You should be on Blue Peter.... although perhaps I should ask whether you did indeed use any sticky-backed plastic??? :tongue:

FM - you (and your Mum) have done a great job, I especially like the chest strap and the tail wrap.

Flipo is a gorgeous model too btw :inlove:

Agree with other member - you and your Mum should set up a small business selling to NR members (and others of course)

Thanks guys, he's not overly impressed so will need to walk him out a couple of times to get used to it. The sash has a Velcro bit in the middle so if something goes wrong, it'll break easily, so got some despooking to do to that happening.
Mrs C thank you for the weight compliment but sadly I can't accept it - you usually see me wearing my bp under that hi viz but I wasnt in that pic!
Don't think my mum will be allowing me use of her sewing machine again (I'm a liability) so sadly the flipo's nr hi viz shop is closed for business.

Bless him, he looks so disapproving! Still could be worse Flip, could be pink!

I myself very much favour pink, however, to date have refrained from buying Tobes pink hi viz although I think he would look stunning in it!

Fab designs and clever Mum. Neither my Mum nor I are very good at sewing machines!

What a great idea! You both look fab. I've just bought myself a pink hi viz vest (on the off chance I will ever hack out), so will have to co-ordinate Rusty in pink as well, but might break out the sewing machine to see what I can come up with.

newrider.com