Making your own haylage?

Ratface

Nov 20, 2007
West Yorkshire
Hello

I wasn’t really sure where to put this one so if you feel it should be move mods, please do!

I have a field which I am about to start renting. It is 3.2 acres and has really long grass at the moment. I am just waiting to hear back from a couple of people/farmers who make haylage in the area but just wonder if any of you guys make your own?

If so, once the field has been cut and turned and made into bails, how long before I could use the ground underneath for my horses to graze on?

Also if I do have it cut will it leave enough grass for them to graze on? Can the farmer who cuts the field decide how much (lengthwise) grass is left remaining in the ground?

I know these sound silly questions but I need to plan what is going on!

Thanks 

We just let the contractors get on with it, then once the field has greend up again we let the horses on to eat the bits the baler missed.

Hi, I had the same problem. 4 acres for 2 fillies but the grass was long, i sectioned the field in half to make my own haylage & wondered about the same things as you.

I know it's cheaper to make your own but it's organising it. I'm looking for a farmer to cut it this month & hope to then give them the whole field late summer. I w3oild guess a month after it's been cut should be enough time but leave the farmer to work the rest out. :)

Thats the plan, just hope it makes nice haylage.

newrider.com