Lost a good friend today

chev

May 7, 2002
right here, right now
About an hour ago we got the dreaded phone call to tell us that Jonny Flip Flops (William John Smith) has finally lost his fight against brain cancer. He died in hospital with his family around him at the end.

Jonny was a close friend of both Mr Chev and I and will be greatly missed. The name came from the fact that he always wore flip-flops. Even out riding on his bike!

I cant imagine not having him around any more. RIP Jonny. Ride free.

That's very sad news, The nick name made me smile though, sounds like a nick name that someone here would have.

You must be very sad. Chin up chuck.

Reactions: chev
Sorry to hear this. What is it with brain tumours. A friend of ours died a few years ago after a couple's of years battling it
I was speaking to someone the other week. Don't know them that well, but I have some sheep on his allotment. He getting on a probably in his 70s but still works. He was telling me he was over the moon that he now works only 3 days a week instead of 5 days. So he has more time for his allotment. Yesterday I get a phone call to tell me his was in hospital really ill. It was unlikely he would come out. He has a brain tumour. Even though I don't know him that well it makes you realise how your world can so easily be turned upside down.

That's very sad news, The nick name made me smile though, sounds like a nick name that someone here would have.

You must be very sad. Chin up chuck.

I can't imagine life without him yet.

There are several Johns round here. There's Mad John Milk, John Wayside, John Glan Gors and Big John. Who really is Big!

I can't imagine life without him yet.

There are several Johns round here. There's Mad John Milk, John Wayside, John Glan Gors and Big John. Who really is Big!

must be a John thing! I know John boy walton, John the hat, John the toad, computer John, Curtains John ! :D

Jonny flip flops is fantastic :) kinda sums up a characterful man x

Jonny flip flops is fantastic :) kinda sums up a characterful man x

He was. Larger than life even though he was built like a twig. Nothing was too much trouble for him. Mr C and another close friend took him out for breakfast a couple of times a week until he was too ill to go and it was the highlight of the week. It was his birthday a month or so ago so we threw a surprise party for him. It was like watching a kid at Christmas. After that the cancer in his brain got a hold and he went downhill fast. The best I can say is that he didn't suffer for long. I miss him so much. :(

Reactions: Gimp
Now, you are all going to tell me I am making this up, but we have a chap down the road and really truly he is known as "John o' Buggery" Really nice chap he is too.

Now, you are all going to tell me I am making this up, but we have a chap down the road and really truly he is known as "John o' Buggery" Really nice chap he is too.

Love it! We have a Peter Pad, a Marty Oddball, a Ken Painter, an Ode, Sion Tractor, Murg, and Blind Richard (who isn't blind at all!).

Love it! We have a Peter Pad, a Marty Oddball, a Ken Painter, an Ode, Sion Tractor, Murg, and Blind Richard (who isn't blind at all!).
Must be a small Island thing, or small communities all with similar names, To distinguish them most folk here are called by their first name then the name of their house.
My son went to school with a lad called George Pud, his father was a "Pud" as was his grandfather who first got the nick name by falling asleep in his pudding as a child.

Sorry, this has gone way off topic, but I hope it cheers you up a bit

Jonny wouldn't have minded if it cheered me up and nor do I. Go as far off topic as you like!! :D

My son is called Rhys Davies. There's a haulage company called Rhys Davies. Our local community policeman is called Rhys Davies. And Mr Chev's neurologist is called Rhys Davies.

They need nicknames otherwise nobody would have a clue who they were talking about!

Last edited:
When we had the village shop and post office a delivery driver cam in and asked where Mrs. Peterson lived. And I told him he'd have to do better than that as there were at least 7 Mrs. Petersons.

Sorry for your loss Chev.
I lost a really good friend to cancer two days after Christmas. I still think of her every day, but can now smile at some of the memories and 'mad' moments we had. Never laughed as much as when I was with her.
It's lovely when something silly reminds you of someone you have lost,, obviously flip flops will remind you of Jonny. xx

Sorry for your loss Chev.
I lost a really good friend to cancer two days after Christmas. I still think of her every day, but can now smile at some of the memories and 'mad' moments we had. Never laughed as much as when I was with her.
It's lovely when something silly reminds you of someone you have lost,, obviously flip flops will remind you of Jonny. xx

We lost Mr C's mother last December and then another friend (back to nickames!) called Mike the Sparrow in March. I'm sorry you lost such a good friend.

newrider.com