Loose schooling/ lunging a horse

stressy

Apr 22, 2009
sunderland
who just doesnt seem to get the idea of jumping/ cant be bothered :confused: I have tried trotting poles- fine will happily trot/ canter over but put a small cross pole up and she stops and is a bit like eek I dont know what to do, stops and then will walk over instead of jumping. No point in loose schooling as she just runs out beofre the jump. I have a lunge whip for encouragement but will not use it on her as I dont want to scare her. Ridden she is the same, go towards jump, stop and then walk over. I thought she might be better on the lunge with no interference from a rider but no better. ANy ideas?

Lol I did that with my first pony took a good few tries before she agreed to jump with me on board as opposed to leading her.

What about putting a ground pole or two before the jump? Or blocking the side of the jump so she can't run out as easily - balance a pole beside the wing on something else so she has a kind of "tunnel" to go down, either at right angles to the jump or slightly outwards from it. Does that make sense?

Are you trying to school her on her own, or would you be able to get someone in to help at the jump itself while you try to encourage her from behind, over it?

What about putting a ground pole or two before the jump? Or blocking the side of the jump so she can't run out as easily - balance a pole beside the wing on something else so she has a kind of "tunnel" to go down, either at right angles to the jump or slightly outwards from it. Does that make sense?

Are you trying to school her on her own, or would you be able to get someone in to help at the jump itself while you try to encourage her from behind, over it?

Most of the time on my own, OH is on hand occasionally but not enough to be consistent, will try creating the 'jump lane and see what she does

I tried to teach my loan youngster to jump by freeschooling. My thinking was that he could learn to jump without the added weight of a ridr to worry about aqnd unbalance him. But he didn't ever jump. So in the end I taught him to jump by riding him over them. At first he was a bit unsure, but I rode him forward with energy and commitment and he got it in the end. Jumps very nicely now.

I tried to teach my loan youngster to jump by freeschooling. My thinking was that he could learn to jump without the added weight of a ridr to worry about aqnd unbalance him. But he didn't ever jump. So in the end I taught him to jump by riding him over them. At first he was a bit unsure, but I rode him forward with energy and commitment and he got it in the end. Jumps very nicely now.

Im with Krissie on this one... When I start a jumping session I alway out a really low one out to walk over, a slight bigger cross amd a bigger one (about a ft) I walk him past them first so he has a good look.

Walk over the first a couple of times (not to many) trot uo to the next, leg on and ride foward, if he stops push on in walk over it. Do this until he keeps troting. Then go for the third jump.

Sometimes is they are to small they have no respect and will not try.

Well I decided to try riding her tonight set up a few trotting poles and she was a bit 'meh, boring!' so I jumped off her and put a small cross up, trotting into them she didnt even jump- walked over, so I set her away in canter- loads better, she didnt stop anytime, even though she knocked down the small upright I put up, I think that is partly due to the fact it was quite small and she again couldnt be bothered but overall a success. thanks for the tips guys :D

Glad it seems to be working out.

She'll get it eventually: some horses just take a while to twig.

One of y/o's horses didn't work it out till she was a 6yo - up till then she could barely get all 4 legs over a pole on the ground - and now at 8 she is jumping newcomers at 1.10m so if she can suss it out any horse can!

newrider.com