Long reining

Hugo10

Dec 26, 2007
I want to have a go at long reining Hugo but I haven't done it before :eek: can anyone give me a bit of advice on how to get started and tell me what I need equipment wise.

Hi, there is an Allen guide to long reining. At 4.99 or thereabouts, it gives you all the info you need.

Personally I like to longrein with a Monty Roberts Dually headcollar with a Lammert Harmstra circular rope long-rein - not two separate ones running throught a lungeing roller.

You can also lunge with two lines - this is similar to long-reining, but the horse moves round you as with lunging on a single line, but you can control the degree of bend more effectively.

Natural Balance For Horse and Rider
www.balanceinmotion.co.uk

go to a driving school in your area and learn how to 1st

there are plenty that teach driving and long reining is the 1st place they start

I prefer to long rein with reins going through something like a roller, rather than the reins around the back end.

I find there is far too much inteference from hind legs through the reins otherwise.

All you need is two lunge lines, and some kind of training roller. Terrets can be made from old rope clips. Clip them to the roller and run the reins through the rings that the rope was attached to.

Long reining is fantastic and can really engage the backend when worked on a circle and can teach lunging really well.

When the handler is learning, i allways suggest to start off the nose, either from a cavesson or dually. Just untill you get the feel for the line and pressure so that you dont hurt his mouth to start with. When you are confident at handling the lines and working the horse then you can move on to the bit. I use two lunge lines (of a type that doesn't have the tags on, will stretch or will hurt your hand if they slip through) threaded through a roller then round the back end.
There are many different techniques so just try them out and see which suits you and your horse.

Ooooh ive started long reining its sooo much fun! :D Im trying to get to grips with steering though.
I use a dually headcoller, a roller and then two lunge lines. I had some help from someone that drives so thats how ive learnt.
Ill attatch some pics :D:D (any excuse!)
This was my second proper time doing it :)
Copy of GetAttachment3.jpg

Copy of GetAttachment6.jpg

GetAttachment5.jpg

GetAttachment4.jpg

I suggest you have an assistand with a normal short lead rope at the head if the horse has not longreined before so they can help guide,but not pull or lead in anyway, that must come from you behind. I did this for the first three or four times until he got the hang of it then the person just walked at his head without any rope and went further and further away. We started on straight lines, curves, on the road etc, and I always lunge with only one lunge rope for normal lunging in a circle.

I use the bridle for longreining, attaching to the bit, but only use a parelli headcollar for lunging. Either way with or without saddle and reins are always free and dont go through anything (no roller).

ETA Just seen the pics above, mine is not a kicker so I am only three feet from his bum, riding from the ground is fun too we do a lot of that on in hand walks........use normal reins walk at the shoulder with one hand over pony to right hand rein exactly the same as if you were on top for rein position, except you are walking next to him. Great for teaching steering on a youngster, of course if they are 16 hands you either need long arms or bring the right rein over to the left so you can reach it easier and make sure you are fit enough to keep up with their speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am idle and do two at a time! :D :D

9Nov08-0063449thNovember2008.jpg

newrider.com