long reining

xox stace xox

Honey's Golden Surprise
Oct 23, 2006
right well i had my tack stolen not long ago, so im stuck lunging, freeschooling, riding bareback and long rening.

but heres my question, H can get very spooky if not taken out hacking regularly, so would you risk taking her out down quietish streets (have to cross a busy road) long reining?, now at times she can be strong but isnt it simialr to ridden? would i be safe ??

ye could take her out in hand, which i feel is safe to do so 80% of the time, but if something up sets her she gets very strong. well tbh strength mayn ot be a prob no more. but over a yr ago she was ver bolshy and green. weve done lots of training since but im still unsure, but tbh i feel she needs to get out and stretch her legs other than the school, as when my saddle is replaced shell be so spoooky

Even in a bridle?

If you can find somebody to walk at her head as you longrein that might help. You may find that because you are behind her she gets more spooky. It might be worth trying that first, and then see if somebody will ride with you as you do it. :)

I long rein Stan out quite a bit even though he hacks fine on his own ridden.. it's something different to do and keeps him brave.

I don't have busy roads though.. just the lanes round the village but we frequently meet tractors, milk lorries etc. He wears side reins though for a bit of extra control.

Get someone to walk out with him near his head then start walking a little further back and don't let him get too far out infront.

newrider.com