long distance horse transport advice

svenja

Jul 28, 2006
London, formerly Moscow
Hello! I am moving back to the UK form Russia in spring and will be bringing my mare with me. I have looked at transport options and given that with a reliable horse transporter, the journey will take about 5 days, I was wondering whether it would be better if I stopped somewhere like Berlin with the horse for a few days to minimise the stress (I have friends there)? Or would it be better for her to just do one journey?
Needless to say, if by some random coincidence you know someone who wnats to ship a horse from russia and would be interested in sharing transport, please let me know..... :)

John Parker, or Eric Gillie, or Gordon Hamilton. They are all fairly well known good reputations.

PS what kind of registered native types are available there, little stocky farm draught types? Are there any Fjords there, pedigree ones?

If there are we'll come and get you and pick up something for ourselves too! :D :D :D

thanks Wally! you should check out the Kabardin (also called Kabarda) breed- they are hardy little mountain horses, and absolutely fantastic. Russians don't go in for native types so you can also get they very cheaply. I rode one in the North Caucasus and it was the most sure-footed horse I've ever ridden. They are very hardy and supposed to be the best mountain horses around. The estnonian native is also really cool (found in the baltic states). Viatka ponies remind me of Fjords- they are a Russian breed and rare. I've seen a few Fjords but I wouldn't say Russia is the best place to get them.
I spoke to John Parker and he sounds great, he has been recommended by loads of people- I am trying to see if I can get a shared load from Moscow but it's not that easy as people tend to use Russian transporters as they're cheaper (but I've heard so many horror stories of horses dying in transit that I refuse to go down that route!) I am considering using a Polish transporter for the Moscow-Berlin leg through Belarus and Poland (and travel with my mare to make sure it all goes well- might also be quite fun), give her a few days' break there and then use John Parker from Germany.
If you are interested in kabardin or estonian horses I can look through the Russian studbook's records and get you details of breeders with Web sites so you can check them out (and maybe join me on the journey home!).

Last edited:
I'd be interested to find out about the ones that look like Fjords, Vaitka?? How big do they get?

I would definately recommend staging the journey. Its an incredibly long time and the horse holds itself rigid the whole time it is in motion to balance. Long journeys leave the horse more susceptible to illness and viruses so from a health point of view it would certainly be better to rest him a few days and allow his system to recover with some turn out time to destress and relax.

Good luck and hope the move goes well!

thanks for all your replies!
I think you're right Nuttyhorse- giving her a few days' break would be best and it's a good excuse for that trip....
And as my moving contract includes relocating pets, all I need to do now is convince work that a horse is, without question, a pet....
Wally: here's a pic of the viatka horse
http://www.galeon.com/cabrera2/Viatka.jpg

Last edited:
Oooh I like a lot, I do, I do- are they expensive seeing as they are a bit rare?

Got any websites of breeders? The face looks like the Konik (SP?) ponies I have seen around and about.

I'll check out the Vniik (russian studbook) for breeders and PM you Wally.... I don't know if they are expensive but I don't think they would be. They aren't ''fashionable'' in Russia and people with a lot of money tend to go for imported breeds like Warmbloods, etc... or arabs. Will find out for you though.

newrider.com