Light Seat Help

Wonkey Donkey

Everythings groovy...
Jul 25, 2009
Hello everyone,

At my lesson today we did a few tiny jumps (or in my case a little trot over some very very low crossed poles!) but for the first time my RI was trying to teach me how to do a light seat. She said I did OK as it was my first time but I didn't feel comfortable at all and thought I was rubbish, but then I am always very hard on myself. My own worst critic as it were. :( Anyway my OH said that my feet were nearly up over my horses bottom which would explain why I felt I was going to topple forward. :eek:

What is the key to obtaining a comfortable light seat when doing a little jump?

Thank you!:)

I am at the same stage as you, WD, just starting the jump cross poles etc.

My RI had me practising a light seat on the flat before we tried any poles. Practice, practice, practice seems to be the key as I found that it got easier the more I did it. She taught me to feel the weight going down my thighs as my bottom was out of the saddle. I kept falling fowards at first but then I found a real 'sweet spot' - ie the centre of balance - which mean I could trot large in a light seat for ages. (I find it much easier in canter for some reason).

Not sure if this is helpful for you but good luck and keep having fun with the jumping!

i just takes practise i'm affraid, all you need to do though is rise out of the saddle a little in canter and theres your light seat :)

this is the best example i have, and i'd want to not lean as far forward marginally but it gives you an idea

DSCF00051.jpg

I am at the same stage as you, WD, just starting the jump cross poles etc.

My RI had me practising a light seat on the flat before we tried any poles. Practice, practice, practice seems to be the key as I found that it got easier the more I did it. She taught me to feel the weight going down my thighs as my bottom was out of the saddle. I kept falling fowards at first but then I found a real 'sweet spot' - ie the centre of balance - which mean I could trot large in a light seat for ages. (I find it much easier in canter for some reason).

Not sure if this is helpful for you but good luck and keep having fun with the jumping!

canter is generaly much easier because its a more fluid pace and you can get more balance but as trot is unblancing it takes a fair amount of leg strength to keep yourself out of the saddle:)

Thank you Virago. Yes it did sort of come out of the blue with me being told how to sit as I was coming down the straight which was opposite the 'jump'! So as there was limited get it right time I couldn't really get the feel for what was wrong then adjust it if you know what I mean. I didn't mind having a go though as I like to try things (although I do get the hump with myself when I can't get it straight away :rolleyes:) and my RI likes to push me a little, which is fine. I think it may be that I need to stick my bottom out more so my feet stay down. In that way - perhaps - I will crouch down with my head along the horses neck instead of feeling as if I'm going to lose balance.

I just knew I really hadn't got it at all and I hate it when I feel that I haven't done a good job :(

canter is generaly much easier because its a more fluid pace and you can get more balance but as trot is unblancing it takes a fair amount of leg strength to keep yourself out of the saddle:)

Yes! I found that! It was like I didn't have the strength in my legs to stay up. I'm afraid I have only just had a couple of little bursts at canter, not anything sustained, so I don't think I'm ready to add anything to a canter yet!! In your picture you are quite upright but then so is you horses head. The horse I was riding today is lovely but has a habit of shaking her head about when she's in that kind of mood and I was finding it difficult to deal with this and come forward over her neck as I was being told to. :(

Lordy, I'm so impatient!

Yes! I found that! It was like I didn't have the strength in my legs to stay up. I'm afraid I have only just had a couple of little bursts at canter, not anything sustained, so I don't think I'm ready to add anything to a canter yet!! In your picture you are quite upright but then so is you horses head. The horse I was riding today is lovely but has a habit of shaking her head about when she's in that kind of mood and I was finding it difficult to deal with this and come forward over her neck as I was being told to. :(

Lordy, I'm so impatient!

no worries:) that horse in the pic actually head shakes very badly;)

he did this on exactley the same rein and approach:rolleyes:

PIC_00271-1.jpg

if its just sudden violent like head movement every now and then its likely she's been yanked in the mouth way to many times and has pick it up psychological, in which case keep only a light contact and she's less likely to do that, otherwise she may just be acting up because she wants to stop, in which case give her a firm tug on the outside rein, if she stops she's just acting up;)

Thanks for those tips, NatalieR.

I hope you dont mind but I've saved your little video to my photobucket account as I found it quite useful. :)

Maz

newrider.com