Lice and treating it

Eveadel

Nov 10, 2008
South East Essex
I think Teddy might have lice, he is very itchy. Before I bought him someone recommended that New Forests that have been in the forest are more likely to get it - not sure how true that is????? :confused:

Teddy is not used to sprays, has never been bathed and has had minimal grooming done so how could I treat him?? :confused:

We used Spot on for dogs when Flaire had lice.
We had the large dog one & used the 3 pipettes whithin a week, worked a treat!
We bought ours online though as you do need a prescription from the vets I think, I told them it was for my dog :eek:

We use cattle spot on, it's not licensed, so if the horse drops down dead you have no comebacks. But it's what we have used on our lot for ages without any problems. You just pour on the dose at the base of the neck. 7.5 ml for a large Shetland, but the dose by weight is on the pack.

We use cattle spot on, it's not licensed, so if the horse drops down dead you have no comebacks. But it's what we have used on our lot for ages without any problems. You just pour on the dose at the base of the neck. 7.5 ml for a large Shetland, but the dose by weight is on the pack.

This is a bit of a dumb question but would I need to get it from a cattle vet??? :confused:

Charlie had lice a few years ago from the neighbours chickens - yuk yuk yuk!! Misdiagnosed as Sweet Itch for a year by the incompetant vet!

Anyway, we changed vets, the immediately told us it was lice and said to use normal dog & cat front line spray all over (especially mane and tail) and within a couple of weeks of using it maybe 2-3 times a week it was all sorted and he's not been itchy since :)

when we bought sky she had lice and my vet recommeded coopers fly and lice killer. it kills them instantly (you could see them scuttling around and dying in front of you eyes) and i still use it as a fly repellant as a quick spray lasts for days. brilliant stuff!!!

PM Archie, her rescue horse was completely plagued with lice.

He is a beautiful beastie now.

when we bought sky she had lice and my vet recommeded coopers fly and lice killer. it kills them instantly (you could see them scuttling around and dying in front of you eyes) and i still use it as a fly repellant as a quick spray lasts for days. brilliant stuff!!!

Is this only available on prescription?

most tack stops sell coopers (or they will be able to get it for you). its about £22 a bottle (i think its 500mls) but worth its weight in gold and you dont need to use an awful lot. i dilute it 3 parts coopers and 1 part water in the summer for flys to make it last longer and it still works a treat.

When dealing with an utterly riddled mare once, and I mean oaging with lice, I was covered in the nasty blighters, I ran to the medicine cupboard and gave myself a spraying with that Derbac stuff you do kids with.....got rid of mine! ;) ;)

When Forest was covered in lice my vet gave me spray on frontline for him. But it wasn't a prescibtion as my vets can't prescribe frontline for anything other then cats and dogs.

But it did the trick. I used it once and then two weeks later another spraying (to kill any eggs that had hatched).
He hasn't had them come back at all. :)

I used a permethrin-based louse powder, second application needed about 10 days after the first to catch any emerging lice. I also gave an Ivermectin wormer, but see from your other post you're also looking at wormers for him. Any field mates may need to be treated for lice too, friendly things that they are.

You'll also need to treat any rugs/head collars/brushes etc that have been on him - I chucked all mine in the freezer overnight, froze the horrors to death :D.

I used a permethrin-based louse powder, second application needed about 10 days after the first to catch any emerging lice. I also gave an Ivermectin wormer, but see from your other post you're also looking at wormers for him. Any field mates may need to be treated for lice too, friendly things that they are.

You'll also need to treat any rugs/head collars/brushes etc that have been on him - I chucked all mine in the freezer overnight, froze the horrors to death :D.

LOL Im sure my husband will have a fit if he opened it up and saw all horsey bits in there BUT then again he probably dont even know where the freezer is!!!

newrider.com