Lets try this bitless lark???

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Very bored now with my little track around the property and unfortunately the ground still very hard and uneven from winter so cant do too much in the fields....but from Tuesday although still very much cocooned at home...we can now exercise within a 5km radius so long as we do not mix with anyone else!!! :D :D So guess who is going to be hacking out for 5kms and then hacking home again. Can't tell you how excited I am to be able to hack out again.

Anyway to relieve the boredom I thought I would fashion a bitless bridle for Miller and see what he thinks of it, especially as he is waiting on the vet to do his teeth - after a very speedy start when he didn't seem to realise that bum and leg aids were saying slow down lol! He soon cottoned on and really went much better than I had thought he would, but suffice to say I will be hacking out with a bit in for now until I am sure I can trust him;) Pic 1 - no brakes - sharp intake of breath from startled elderly rider - faithful old Bertie looking on and tutting disapprovingly at the young whippersnapper trying to run away with his Mammy!
:eek:102316

Picture number 2 and 3schooling bitless.JPG -

I think he has got it now - thank God!!! Much nervous and very relieved laughter from silly old biddy! :rolleyes:schoolng nicely.JPG

Oh look a sparrow hawk she cried...... trying desperately to distract over enthusiastic cameraman -thats enough for today thank you! :oops::D:Dlook at that.JPG

I admire my you for your tshirt weather. Ive been cold today.
He definately looks more relaxed and listening as you go down. The head drops a bit each time.
He is a gorgeous looking lad.

chunky monkey - I think he might have frightened himself too when he went to take off lol! so yes we were both equally relieved I think to work out what exactly we thought we needed to be doing! blind leading the blind for sure - poor Miller he deserves better :D Yes two circles each way and he settled down and seemed to know what I wanted.

Not really brave at all carthorse - I had son primed to rattle a bucket of feed at him if he really took off - anything edible will bring the labrador of the horse world to an immediate stop lol!

You can play around and see what he likes. I stay with the halter as anything on mine she simply walks through and goes totally deaf.

I did a four rein hack last year, setting off on the halter but with the bridle on with dropped reins - in case. It just had to be done.

Reactions: Cortrasna
newrider.com