lessons learned from the wee ones

CharliesAngel

Jan 15, 2010
I’ve learned so many lessons from my shetlands, lessons that big horses haven’t taught me. I do think my handling of bigger horses has improved through having them, I never question anything with the Shetlands.. I just expect them to do things. I don’t worry about it. They come in, are bathed, dried with a blower, loaded, travelled... they just have to get on with it. We have had some divas but I’ve learned just to ignore and get on and I’ve never had a problem.

I got to thinking today about all the ridden horses that go to new homes and people pull the plus after 6 weeks as they are saying it’s been mis sold or they are scared of it in some way. I’ve done it myself :( It’s a whole other thing being scared of something bigger and something you actually have to sit on. But. ......... I have 2 new ponies this year. 1 Is a 5 year old mare and the other is a yearling filly. The Mare arrived hating me :( She got away from me on the first day as she took me by surprise and after that I couldn’t catch her. If I did manage to and bring her in, she was so stressed in the stable, she hated me touching her. On one memorable occasion she had both me & hubby leaping out over the stable door before we got our heads staved in. In short I was so disappointed with what Id bought :( !! The yearling was a complete cow from day one. In your face but with her own opinions and her thing was to attack with teeth and front feet!!!! She also seemed to absolutely hate me, ears were constantly back. Nightmare, horrid horrid pony in the stable and I couldn't touch her legs without her striking out at me or biting!!

Now, I was actually working with both these ponies this morning. The yearling I have had since around August and the Mare I bought at the end of October. They have both been out to a show (which had some interesting moments!) and the mare has been in for a week while I dealt with the most awful abscess I’ve ever seen, which is now better. This morning, the mare caught first time.. she came over to me. She stood while I groomed her and we shared a moment of breathing into each other’s noses and a lovely sharing of ‘peace’. I had her out for a walk inhand and did some groundwork and she was absolutely sweet as anything. Popped her back in the field and she turned back to follow me after I took off her headcollar. The yearling... well she has come round completely and is my shadow in the field but now in a nice way! The biting has stopped and the ears are forward, all she wants is to be with me and have a scratch. So it’s taken months.... and I haven’t done anything other than general handling, using a benice halter and a bit of ground work, but it made me think. If a horse Id bought to ride arrived home like either of these I wouldn’t have kept it, and I wouldnt have had the confidence to work through it, but it’s shown me how right people can be when they reply to threads advising they can take months to settle and the change of home/ownership can completely destroy a sensitive type initially.

SO many folk look upon Shetlands as some kind of cute wee dog. And try to treat them as some kind of ickle puppy, Shetlands need just as firm a hand and fair handling as a 17hh cart horse.

No man on the planet can match his strength to even the smallest Shetland, They catch bigger horse handlers out because of their small size and the speed they can put a plan of mischief into action.

Reactions: CharliesAngel
yes that’s for sure. The new mare I bought is a full up 42” powerhouse, island bred and big in every direction. She knew she could pull me over from day 1 and there was no way I was stopping her. I cursed as as you know, once they realise they can.. they will. Turning her around though and getting her on side has really made me feel chuffed. I need to keep reminding myself they are just as strong if not stronger than something bigger and apply the same logic and confidence !

Reactions: Wally
the problem comes with them being very, very, very clever too. they will out think most other breeds of horse and pony. Once you have the loyalty and trust of a Shetland thought they are just the best.

Reactions: CharliesAngel
There's also far too much emotion and intent wrapped up in buying a ridden horse versus anything else I think, so yes folk are very quick to just write them off and blame the horse rather than try to deal with the issues that they might have inadvertently created themselves. Relationships don't always click straight away. That doesn't mean the horse is wrong, sometimes the human needs work aswell.

there is something so deep about a shetland mare.... Im at the stage now where I should think about selling a couple of mares next year but when I look at them all, I don’t know if I could part with any of them! The understanding and depth of soul is something to behold and I feel so strongly about how misunderstood they are. I hate hearing them called Shitlands and used as toys. As you say Wally, Ive realised that once they trust you and you have mutual respect, when they realise that you are worthy of them , the relationship is just amazing.

newrider.com