Latest food obsessions?

I have been trying to find healthier food alternatives lately because I have been having real problems sticking to a "diet". So I thought i would do research into foods that are naturally filling & nutritious & try to incorporate them into my diet.

I have lost 7lbs so far (since mid August)- the only thing I have done is thought more about my food choices/made an effort to increase my exercise & had smaller portion sizes. . I am also not denying myself anything - I'm still having wine at weekend & a takeaway because I know if I start feeling guilty about eating the takeaway/or the wine I will just feel bad for making the choice to indulge.

I have been trying to find healthier food alternatives lately because I have been having real problems sticking to a "diet". So I thought i would do research into foods that are naturally filling & nutritious & try to incorporate them into my diet.

I have lost 7lbs so far (since mid August)- the only thing I have done is thought more about my food choices/made an effort to increase my exercise & had smaller portion sizes. . I am also not denying myself anything - I'm still having wine at weekend & a takeaway because I know if I start feeling guilty about eating the takeaway/or the wine I will just feel bad for making the choice to indulge.

I think that's a good idea - when we start to deny ourselves stuff that's where it can go wrong. Everything in moderation now and again. I haven't lost any but I've not gained this past month, so I am really quite okay with it now. My jeans fit okay so that will do!

There's some interesting stuff about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa
including some arguments about whether it's good or bad for the people who cultivate it (think Peruvian asparagus) and the fact that 2013 is International Year of Quinoa ..

Never tasted it myself - it looks expensive, and I eat meat, cheese and pulses, and nuts and olives, so I'm not short of protein. Still, must try it one day ...

I get really hungry at this time of year. My latest 'fad' is Kentish Cobnuts. We have them in the hedgerows which is brilliant, I can walk round and pick and eat them whilst poo picking.

Next up will be sweet chestnuts, raw, yummy.

I am told I have a weird sense of taste for odd food :unsure: I love watercress and rocket, sometimes I eat so much it makes my tongue sore (the pepperiness). Then I have bouts of eating Sauerkraut :eek:

Radishes can also be demolished by the bag load.

I totally adore olives. I used to work with a Turkish girl in the early eighties who would snack on them for dieting. Olives had not caught on here then but I was hooked after the first bite:giggle: We used to sit next to one another in the bank (it was very posh) and stuff them silly whilst customers were not watching. We also had a thing for wine on a Saturday morning but that's another story. Happy days!

I love the whole hedgerow foraging thing. I am making blackberry wine atm and elderberry, it is coming on a treat. Me and YO are equally bonkers, she is doing plum and apple, then when they are ready we will have a competition to see who's is best (judged by her sister) not sure how she will judge, possibly by who's makes someone fall over quickest.......mad.

We collect mushrooms as well:unsure::giggle:

Meanwhile the horses look on in the field:biggrin:

Gosh - I love nuts too, we have a couple of hazel trees, but I never get more than a handful, the squirrels take them long before they're ripe, and half the ones they leave behind are empty (I think they know - they weigh them in their little paws and only take the good ones) :frown:

Tina - one of my good friends is from Kent & I am familiar with cob nuts. They are a bit weird ;)

I do love roasted chestnuts though with loads of butter & salt on.

I love the whole hedgerow foraging thing. I am making blackberry wine atm and elderberry, it is coming on a treat. Me and YO are equally bonkers, she is doing plum and apple, then when they are ready we will have a competition to see who's is best (judged by her sister) not sure how she will judge, possibly by who's makes someone fall over quickest.......mad.

We are doing our own cider! Hubby built a cider press out of wood and an old car jack and we currently have 20 litres bubbling away in the garage. Should be ready for Christmas, but nicer by next summer, apparently. Hopefully it will be nicer than my own attempt at elderberry wine in 2010. Still got a few bottles. It doesn't really taste of elderberry, just cheap wine! I'd have drunk it happily as a student but I am a bit fussier now!

I've done hedgerow jelly out of foraged sloes, elderberries and crab apples too. Chucked in a star anise when I was boiling it up. Yummy!

newrider.com
Back