last day of "normal" life for a while

joosie

lifelong sufferer of restless brain syndrome
Oct 28, 2004
New Zealand
I can't really believe it but after years of saving and dreaming my trip is finally here :D Last day at home today, I'm getting the train up to Heathrow tomorrow and all being well should be sitting on the plane by 8pm. I'm not entirely convinced that the 13-hour flight to Singapore will "pass quickly" as people keep saying, but I'm sure it will be worth it once I get there!

I did a trial pack the other day as I'm travelling light and wanted to see if I needed to cut things off my original packing list... and I did, so I have! I'm just taking a 65-litre backpack and my camera equipment so that I don't have to struggle around. My dad said I'd find it difficult to decide what to leave behind but I haven't struggled at all. I suppose having lived out of suitcases and bags for the last 9 years I'm used to keeping the amount of "stuff" I own fairly small, I have very few possessions that I don't take round with me all the time. Probably the oddest thing is that it's the first time I've gone away without horsey gear!

I've been busy sorting out lots of little bits and pieces this past week but as of now the only thing I have left to do is pack for real. I've had farewell lunches with my two best friends from Cornwall (unfortunately not all 3 of us together as they have very different commitments) and last night we had my aunt, uncle and grandma over for a Chinese. It was nice but did strike me that it could potentially be the last time I see my grandma. She's 97 and has a heart condition so although she's currently healthy, active and independent I'm also very aware that at her age people's health can change quite rapidly. She got a bit emotional when we said goodbye and made me promise on my life that I would come back!

Oh how exciting for you, I wish you all the good travel vibes in the world and hope very much that you will have time to keep us all posted on here, it wouldn't be the same without your pictures and threads.
You always inspire me very much with your lifestyle - (and I know this might sound weirdo_O) but it's reading about your trip and plans etc that spur me on when I get a bit down and scared of the whole "moving" thing:oops: Anyway, 'nuff waffle from me! :):D

Reactions: Kite_Rider
hope you have a fantastic time :D how exciting but also at the same time how scary/daunting haha. But I'm sure you will have the time of your life. We will all miss you on here :)

Have a wonderful, safe journey :D We will look forward to updates when you're not having too much fun or too exhausted from the fun ;)

Have a great time. I too hope that you have packed your hat. You are sure to need it at some point. I really hope that you keep posting on here. I am looking forward to hearing all your stories. x

Have a super time @joosie as I'm sure you will. You my dear are an inspiration to me also, not with the travelling so much as your riding and your whole attitude. I will look out for updates here as an when you get the chance, you will be missed. :)

Reactions: Trewsers and PePo
Have an amazing time. I hope you stay on NR and keep us posted on your adventures!

newrider.com