Laminitic supplements

kelbe

Aug 1, 2008
Surrey
I have two ponies who I have been told have had laminitis in the past ( I have had one two years with nothing and the other one year with nothing) They have just moved to a new yard where there is slightly more grass and so I would like to give them a supplement just to help. Can you suggest which is the best as there are so many of them.
Thanks

as far as im aware the only supplement that is proven to help is founderguard which is about 70 quid a tub and has to be imported by a vet :eek:

quite a few people just use magnesium oxide/magox as a supplement to help prevent lami (i have done, too but my pony got lami regardless, despite stripgrazing and whatnot), it's quite inexpensive.

if they had lami before,i'd look at their grass intake and muzzle or stripgraze instead, as a supplement wont prevent lami and you'll be kicking yourself if they get it :eek:
julia
x

best supplement to prevent lami ...... restricted grass in take if that is the trigger.

Main and only thing i would look at first before spending out on any supplement.

I personally have and still use formula4feet - all info on this site

http://www.equilife.co.uk/

I presume you don't know their lami history, ie. what the trigger was?
if not and you have managed them sucessfully so far without then if it was me I wouldn't mess around with their diet at all. If they are going to have too much grass available to them without you putting some restriction on it then thats where you need to look, keep an eye on weight and ensure they get enough exercise.

I agree with Notpoodle. Founderguard is the only supplement that is proven to work. It's high cost is due to the EU & the people who eat horses. It costs a quarter of the price in Oz where it is manufactured.

echo the others. founderguard is the only proven supplement as it's a low level antibiotic (hence why only vets can sell it). the so called "laminitis supplements" from the feed shop will do nowt. save your cash!

Eventerbase.... what use is an antibiotic for lami? (maybe to help with abceses, cant spell that tonight)

I use Top Spec Anti-Lam, as a preventative at 250grams per day for a 280kg pony.

I pay around £30 per bag and it lasts 80 days plus. So about 3 months. I dont use it when there is no or very little grass, so last nearly 5 months really.

I have used it at full dose when mine has had lami in the past, and it soaks up the toxins that get in the bloodstream. It also has two things in for regulating the bacteria in the front gut and hindgut which cause the toxins in the first place. So good for both jobs, before and during.

We have had it for a number of years, and the only time he gets lami now, is if I have stopped feeding it for a while and go on new/lusher grass at the same time. Result is always the same, back to the shop for another bag.:)

We also do muzzle, strip grazing, stabling etc, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use top spec anti lam as well, also happy hoof and i strip graze and muzzle when the grass is growing. I am looking into the possibility of turning mine out at night during the summer - apparently there's less chance of getting lami as the sugars ( fructans ) are at their worst in the day time.
My mare had lami last year and was on box rest or about 8/9 weeks. You're right about lami starting in the gut though.
bL**dy awful to watch your horse/pony going through it. :(

i'm assuming to control the bacteria in the gut. I can only describe it as how my vet (tried to) sell it to me. We never fed it because our mare had foundered and rotated by this stage. It was more logical for us to start her on a digestive supplement. Laminitis originates in the gut, an inability to digest the carbohydrates. Can also be triggered by bacterial upset due to things like haylage.

http://www.founderguard.uk.com/documents/FOUNDERGUARD_PIS.pdf

newrider.com