Kind of disappointed - another 'would i be too big' question!

I wouldn't say that you're too tall or massive for him at all BUT he is quite an old lad and I think it's better to be safe than sorry with the older ones. More to do with his age than you, I think.

No way at all!! As i previously said on another thread, i`m 8 stone 10 and have just tried a 12.2hh lead rein pony - which carried me no problem (although i admit to feeling much safer on my 16.2hh ISH :D:D

I don't think you're too big as in too heavy but maybe your RI thought your height would be a problem for him to carry for a whole lesson, balance wise? As he may have to work harder (and you;)) to counteract the height as i imagine although not too heavy at 5ft 11 you would look very very tall on him.

My pony was 12.3hh and when i was riding her regularly i was 10.5 st BUT i'm only 5ft 2 which was about the right height on her. She was also 20.

My hubby had sat on her once (he weighs under 9st) but as he's 6ft he did look very big (tall) and although she didn't 'struggle' as such anything more then walk, few strides of trot would have been difficult for them both:p.

just think at least half a lesson means you'll get to ride him again though:D

Don't be disappointed, it sounds like they're doing there est to please you but also are a nice enough school to be concerned about their ponies. Your weight really doesn't sound like it would be a problem (5'11" & 9.5 stones - I'm jealous!) but he is an older lad, you're taller than he's used to carrying & he probably does work fairly hard.

Just a thought but would they be happier if you had a short private lesson on him so the work was tailored to what he fond easier? Or if you took him out for a hack?

I hope you enjoy your ride on him & you don't have to wait too long.

i would have siad you would be absoulutley fine- especially as you rRI thinks hes an exmoor x.

im about half a stone lighter than you and about 5"3 and my pony is 13.2 and i do everything on her. xc, showjumping , dressage, pc gmaes you name it- hes not that elderly either, maybe getting on abit but he shouls still be fine to carry you!:) hes not a skinny little thing eiher, hes quite stocky so i wouldnt have said you would have a problem:eek:

you'd be fine. He'd easily carry you.
Sounds just the same as when my 5ft 5" 11 stone friend went to see a chunky cob that was for sale, they told her she was too tall as he was only 141hh and would need something at least 16hh :rolleyes:

No I'm sure that size and breed would be fine for you - I'm 9st and used to ride a 13.2 and he certainly had no problems carrying me!

I should iimagine that it is partly due to his age and also as a riding school pony he will have had a full active life there too - more than a pony who only has one rider on him for an hour or so each day.

That's all and certainly nothing to be down about - I agree it sounds as if the instructors care about their horses and about accomodating their riders - sounds like you have a good place there! :cool:

Your weigh and height seems fine to me as I have an 11.3 pony. I am 9 stone.

But he may have quite a few other hour long lessons to do daily as well, and maybe that is where they are ering on the side of caution.

One hour per day versus 4-6 hrs per day would make a big difference. I never do more than one hour with mine.

Good luck!!

i'm 5 ft 7, 8.5 stone (maybe 9 now) and regularly jump and ride a 13hh fine pony, and a 13 2hh slightly chunkier cobby pony. both carry me well.
i wouldnt ride the 13hh pony till she was dripping with sweat, and i always get a leg up on her so as not to put too much weight on her back trying to get on

I would of though you would be ok, i have a 12.3 pony who is 23 now and i am 10 1/2 stone, 5'3 and we do loads together! We may look bit odd but we both have so much fun!!!!!! May be he is a busy and popular rs pony so they are thinking of him??????

I dont think youre too big at all..
Ive just posted this pair....
in my last thread...check them out...
well she carries him fine...w,t,c and she decided to cheekily pop a jump which they were meant to canter around!!!!

Attachments

• jon2.jpg
    jon2.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 14
newrider.com