Kennel Cough....

happyhacker101

Mar 19, 2007
scotland
Anyone ever dealt with the above? I seem to remember someones dog had it not so long ago?

Poor Issy started sneezing a couple of days ago, last night she started making a choking noise and was very unwell in herself - she can normally hear a packet of crisps being opened from the bottom of the garden - didnt even open an eye when we scrunched one up in the same room as her ....

Polly started sneezing last night too, so took them both to the vets this morning and yep - both have kennel cough.... Issy is the worst....

They've both been given jags and anti bots today - both dogs have always had the KC vaccine too:poop:

Poor dogs.
Depends on your school of thought re treatment. You can give benylin but I and a few of the vets I have asked are more in favour of letting them cough up the infection and get rid rather than masking it with cough syrup.
Touch wood I dont get it as shooting season is underway and its the only time my dogs ever see dogs from other places and risk being infected.

Jasper had it when we got him, it almost sounded like he was trying to bark with his mouth closed! It cleared up very quickly once he'd been treated for it and he's now vaccinated each year along with flu etc. never had it since

Thanks, i'd heard of giving them this - prob being is that Issy is so small that I wouldnt know how much to give her! she's 7kgs on a good day! I think the cat weighs more than she does!

She's alseep in front of the wood burner at the moment with her partner in crime (Polly)

Vet said they've seen a lot of KC around this summer:poop:

There is an epidemic here ATM. It seems our dogs are the only ones (so far) that have not got it. Cassie Pups got it when Frances' rescue dog arrived fresh from rescue kennels. First her other two got it, then my two.

All that happened is the coughed and sneezed for a bit and got a runny nose. They were still happy in themselves.

Even my friend, who is a vet, her dogs have it and they have been vaccinated!

I guess we're lucky in that because they've been vaccinated for it - then they should get a lesser strain of it than if they hadn't.

Polly's now looking sorry for herself and Issy has perked up! Neither want to go out though which is a blessing due to the weather - no 5 mile hike tomorrow!

newrider.com