just noticed this section!!

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
just noticed theres a Confidence Club section!! are people sick of hearing our positive cantering threads in the cafe area that we are now banished to our own little area :(

tis great though!! ill start us off......

fell off yesterday (well elegantly dismounted in a hurry during a buck thanks to Moet).....although i felt confident afterwards, got back on cantered some more then hacked solo for an hour, including cantering.....i am now feeling nervous about riding her again....feel myself making excuses for not riding....am determined to ride in the next few days though...

Just noticed this section too!

No real advice on confidence issues as i am battling with my own. If it helps tho I am dealing with mine by not giving myself permission to give in to them. In the same way as I sometimes tell my daughter that although it is scary she HAS to have a proceedure done so there is "nothing to it, but to do it", I just take a deep breath, tell myself that I AM doing this and then do it and try to breath and keep as calm as I can whilst I am doing it.

Really not sure if that is the best approach tho.

juliecwuk;2541123...although i felt confident afterwards said:
I'm just like this! Although I can carry on at the time and feel fine, even very positive, give me some time to think about it and I become irrationally nervous again, even though I've already faced my fear and coped fine. Ggrrrrrrr, stupid brain!

I can be a bit like this too. As a mature novice, first time owner I tend to often be suprised by things Ed can do, or I can mull over it a little too much.

Not sure what your riding/horse ownership experience is Julie??

I do find the more experience I gain and the more I do things confidence gets better. Think I've also learned that all horses have little querks and moods and it's a case of getting to know them and dealing with the situation.

Big confidence booster for me is having lessons with my RI. It's also a great opportunity to talk other issues over and I find her very reassuring.....

Ed bucks a little on the odd occasion (99% of the time they are quite tiny, but I get more disconcerted by the way he throws his head down:eek: This is usually to do with Ed being a little excited). However, I'm becoming better at just ignoring it and pulling up his head...

Noooooo..... of course not!:eek: This was asked for ages ago and we didn't appear to have enough posts to warrant creating another section at that time. We just thought it would be nice to have your own space now that there are more people chatting about confidence issues.

God knows I have my own so might be in here myself!:p

are people sick of hearing our positive cantering threads in the cafe area that we are now banished to our own little area :(

I spotted this section a couple of days ago - I think its a good idea! I have LOTs of confidence issues - and not just ridden either........(I have problems with our Joe who is disrespectful and quite a handful sometimes when I have to lead him out).

I have only just noticed this new section.

I feel silly, as I have over 30 years experience with horses - ridden all sorts over the years, including super-fit eventers/hunters etc.

However, now at the age of 39 I get nervous just thinking about riding :eek:

Frayne is fantastic - she really is a star and we are getting better together. Having her in livery throughout the winter and riding out with others, having a school to do groundwork with her etc meant that we both gained more confidence.

I now have her back at home and we hack out alone most of the time, which is fine, but I do find it easier to make excuses not to ride.

We did our first pleasure ride together a couple of weeks ago - and we had a brilliant time. Frayne behaved herself and I felt safe most of the time (except for our first gallop - when I did just revert back to remembered balance and survived it. Will enjoy the next one more!).

I just try to remember that it is meant to be fun and hacking out on Frayne is well within my capabilities.

Ali xx

so i hacked out today with a friend riding a strange horse....was all good, had a canter too (moet following this time) and no bucking present at all....although she did feel quite forward!

think its all this exercise shes doing, the fitter she is the more forward she is.....ill get used to it im sure!

i had some time to play some ground games in the school yesterday, forgot how much i enjoy it, she was super, proper figure 8s in trot and she even did a couple of canters online (she was always very difficult to get to canter online)....the improved fitness has certainly helped with the ground games! :D

What a fab section to add!

I massively lost my confidence with my previous horse I fell nastily and didnt get back on as i couldnt catch her and I was limping like mad.

I then gave her away without riding her again and was left horseless for about two months.

I was so lacking in confidence just catching him and bringing him in was a big deal let alone tacking up and riding just in a walk even supervised. I was virtually back on a lead rein.

This was just 21 months ago. And trust me each step has been a mile stone and I have fallen all the way back to the beginning several times.

But now I will hack out in company through woods on beaches on busy rodes and walk trot just starting canter tracks.

I have competed walk trot dressage and low jumping classes and will school happily.

Just monday I fell off on a hack (first time ever in my life - and in a bizarre way its helped ive fallen of hacking and my horse didnt gallop off and get hit by a car as I had always envisaged) so now I dont worry so much about falling. I have got back on and hacked since like nothing happened.

So it will come back I pormise you all, I know how frustrating it is you want to be able to do it but cant pluck up the courage and you could scream or cry or both regularly.

All you need is determination, people and a horse you can trust!

lol, I only just saw this as well after reading about it in another thread:D

Sure I will be on here soon as the day approaches to 'climb aboard':rolleyes::p

ooh, well i haven't been on here for about two or three weeks, so have only just noticed it too - and some of my threads in here!

Its good though, it means we can read our past stories at ease and see how much we're progressing (or not!)...Tia and I seem to be progressing slowly in the school (although that's not confidence, that's just our schooling!) we do need to do more solo hacking though, but that will come I hope - I need to take her in the village on-road - that's my next scary project!

Hope you are all doing well, I need to read everyone's updates!

newrider.com