Jaw / poll flexions

Feawen

Jan 12, 2012
Please could someone explain these to me? I know some trainers use them when working towards an outline. How would you apply them, and in what circumstances?

If you follow EE, RWYM, or one of the other modern classical schools of thought, do you think they have a place or not?

I’ve only used jaw flexions once and that was under instruction. I was on a borrowed horse and having an experimental lesson with a friend’s instructor. At halt, I was told to keep my legs closed against the horse and apply tension down the outside rein until he yielded / softened to the pressure. It was effective for this horse – he was much less hollow afterward although not exactly round.

I really, really wish I’d asked the trainer whether she would use this technique on every horse or whether it was due to the particular conformational difficulties of this one. Unfortunately I had so many other things to ask that this one slipped my mind :nerd:, and I’m unlikely to have another session with her. Only because I don’t have a horse! So if anyone could enlighten me I’d be very grateful.

It sounds like something I do with my RI - asking the horse to soften to the bit - but she doesn't use those words. And it's not about applying 'tension' - with Hebe, if you apply tension on the bit she just shuts down - it's about asking, using pressure/release, very softly.

With EE relaxation of the jaw is very important. Heather tends to use a pelham for horses that find this difficult in a snaffle and having seen her do this on a good few occasions it is very effective. She is a very effective rider with amazing "feel" so not an easy thing to replicate or teach. Basically you would use your fingers at the correct moment to flex the horse at the poll, but back this up with the leg and releasing the contact, again, at the correct moment. Not easy to explain as so much depends on exactly what is happening at the time. Generally though, I find the horse relaxes of it's own accord when the rider is taught to sit better as this improves stability of the hands, less "bounce" of the rider etc. The finer rein aids are then much easier for horse and rider.

I like to do a few flexions in hand with a horse before I even get on -- just to make sure they understand that I am using the bit to communicate vs control, and that they respond appropriately to the bit conversation -- once I have established that on the ground I then go to doing it from the saddle

they are very useful in diagnosing how a horse will react under saddle!

Cathy

I use flexion all the time bith hacking and schooling.

Once I have done my basic warm up in walk I move right on to flexion and bend and this soften Chanter through is neck and poll and I have started to teach Albi the same thing.

It is as said about feel. I have taught both boys on the ground first using carrot stetchs. But once once in the saddle it is about and this is just how I do it. I am not an intructor just a happy schooler :giggle:

Sit quietly and make sure your horse is soft to the contact but on the bit, Apply a little leg pressure (not a kick or nudge just pressure) if I am flexion on the left rein I then open up the left rein (like opening a door but not dropping/lowering the reins) apply gentle pressure. Once Chanter starts to flex his jaw I 'give' a little with my outside rein and release the the presure on the inside. You have to give a little with the outside so that he has the room to be able to flex the other way if you hold the contact he physically can't move to be able to flex the other way.

The movement is only small and you should see the flex in the poll and jaw with out seeing the actual neck bend.

Like I said I am not an intructor and this is how I do it but I am sure there are people on NR that are better at schooling then I

newrider.com