Jacobs' Diary

Jacob Wright

Offshore Outlaw
Oct 4, 2014
South Shields
I've just discovered that I can create a diary here to keep you all updated instead of clogging up my original post!

So my name's Jacob, I'm 20 and originally from somewhere much further South than my current location on the Tyne. I moved up here to train as a deck officer on board ships that serve the offshore oil and gas industry. I spent 5 months working in Brazil this year, and should be off to sunny Aberdeen for 12 months at some point in the not too distant future.

I've always enjoyed active outdoors hobbies, I was in the scouts and the Army Cadets and when a friend of mine suggested I give riding a go I thought aye why not!

On Sunday I had my 4th? ( not 100% sure :p ) lesson and so far I've done stopping and starting, turning, trotting, 20m circles and the Serpentine thing. I'm thoroughly enjoying it and looking into all the different disciplines to see what I can progress towards!

I'm also trying to set up a blog more centred to my job and well as riding so I'll link that on here as and when its up if anyone is interested!

Thank you for making me feel welcome!

Jacob

Last edited:
So finally after missing out on a lesson last weekend, I managed to have one today. And it was great and also mildly terrifying!

We were in the indoor school due to the wind which was really bad today! We started off walking going large and doing a few 20m circles, changing the rein and the did the same at the trot. Then we moved onto weaving in and out of cones, first walking and then trotting, and the RI moved the cones closer every time and I only knocked one over once which I thought was fairly decent!

Then she asked if I wanted to try cantering, which sounded simple enough so I said sure why not. So we got into it, went nice and fast into the corner and then Rio started his canter, which was fairly scary as I don't think I've ever been that fast on a horse and because the change of stride caught me completely unawares. However I didn't fall off, the instructor said I'm doing really well and I finally managed to get a photo!

Well done :) It's not fair to tease us saying you got a photo then not share it though ;):p
ETA I do them through photobucket or upload to FB then copy from there which stops the too large issue

Yup, great photo Jacob and well done on the cantering, you'll soon get used to it I'm sure.

With regard photo's I just crop mine on paint shop pro.

Reactions: Jacob Wright
Just a quick question, as I'm looking at starting show jumping lessons once I've mastered cantering, would a body protector be a clever investment and how much should I expect to pay for a decent one?

I just got a second hand body protector from a friend, barely been worn and as its child size I only paid a tenner. I think I used to pay around £60 when I bought them new.

Just a quick question, as I'm looking at starting show jumping lessons once I've mastered cantering, would a body protector be a clever investment and how much should I expect to pay for a decent one?

I bought a Rodney Powell bp and its been money well spent. I got mine mainly for hacking as I had a fear of falling off on concrete. I took to wearing it almost all the time and also used it when jumping. Personally, it gives me more confidence and I am hard pressed not wearing it now. The times I have come off her I typically wasn't wearing it - and tho no harm done I wished I had been wearing it!

newrider.com